<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Club foot
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:32:32 GMT 2003
  • - CTRider1085
  • - Celeste Comfort

    Re: [RC] Club foot - Deblyons54

    In a message dated 8/14/2002 8:14:55 AM Mountain Standard Time, ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    From:     Ridecamp Guest <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: [RC]   Club footed horse

    angela mccorkle@xxxxxxxxxxx
    I have a gelding that when I start a ride he is very excited and=
    later at the vet checks he is calmer but he has a pretty sever=
    club foot there fore his feet hit the ground at different times=
    so it sometimes appears that he is slightly off or lame.  He=
    does have a scar on one of his heals but going down the trail he=
    will take both leads and never acts like it hurts at all.  I=
    have had him blocked by a vet and his gait never changes.  It=
    seems worse the longer his feet get.  Is this a common thing for=""> club footed horses?  I have never had a horse with a club foot=
    before.  He is a fast and fun horse to ride I am just scared=
    that he is going to get pulled for being lame because it looks a=
    little off.  I can put pressure all up both legs and he shows no=
    signs of tenderness and never tries to quit or walk so I am=
    thinking it doesn't hurt.  Anyone ever experienced this before? =
    Thanks for your input.  Angela mccorkle@xxxxxxxxxxx

    Many years ago RT Muffin was pulled after WINNING the ROC due to his funny way of going on a club foot. I rode a mare with a club foot for 12 years, but didn't put a lot of pressure on her and had a very good farrier. She was always sound but got very "one sided" in leads and diagonals. Deb