<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] easy boots
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:31:53 GMT 2003
  • - Vickie Smith
  • - Joan Ruprecht

    Re: [RC] easy boots - Joan Ruprecht

    Good points, however, many of us (Horse and Rider) would not be competing if it were not for shoe aids.  Then we could just stay home and breed, not too sound either.

    My idea is do what you must and go have a good time doing it.

    Joan
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 11:42 PM
    Subject: Re: [RC] easy boots

    In a message dated 8/6/2002 9:13:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, haksaw@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

    I do. Most of my clients do if needed. Especially if the horse was shod without
    pads.

    I *guess* (being that I don't have actual experience with "racing") that some people who are doing rides at racing speeds "need" the extra edge of easy boots or pads. However, what happened to conditioning a horse from his feet up?  Take the time to toughen the horse's feet like we're supposed to and for the most part you don't need all of this contrived stuff.  A good horse can do the miles  (100s, multi-days, whatever) with a well shod set of steel shoes (nevermind the barefoot fantatics -- let's not go there -- although, I'm going no mail for 10 days so have at it <eg>).

    I think Bob Morris' basic concept of a good, sound horse doing lots of miles  because he's capable, well-conditioned and bred for the task deserves a moment of silence here.  Pretty soon our horses are gonna look like that dog in the anti-flea commercial (the one with the wet suit and snorkel on).

    Sylvia