<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] [RC] Where do I find lights for night riding?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:31:56 GMT 2003
  • - Lysane Cree
  • - Lysane Cree

    Re: [RC] [RC] Where do I find lights for night riding? - Nancy Mitts

    Pamela,
    First, I agree with whoever said not to use the blinking lights. They'll drive anyone nuts who rides with you. And probably interfer with you & your horse on the bridle.
    As far as a helmet light, the Petzl Duo is the best. Do a search & you'll get several places to buy, compare prices. Averages around $60.
    It has a powerful focused beam that lets you see a long way if you need to. (Great for finding trail markers) The less powerful beam is good to see right in front of you & is broader, will not interfer with someone in front of you if you keep just a few horse lengths behind.
    I have found my helmet must have a brim to keep the light from bothering
    me. I have used them with 3 different horses & it doesn't seem to bother their vision, just don't be turning it on & off all the time.
    A flashlight in your saddle bag won't do you a bit of good if you get seperated from the horse!
    Most battery bicycle tail lights can be fastened to the back of a cantle back & have a steady on function. Just make sure you rig it so you can turn it off without dismounting.

    There are a couple of problems with reflectives--although I have used them--1. They only work when someone shines a light ON you, not much help from some angles or a drunk driving w/O lights
    2. At the risk of sounding terribly paranoid---You
    can't turn them off. There have been times riding 100's alone on back roads when I prefered to just hide while cars went by--unless I knew it was a crew. Once those reflectives get picked up in the lights, it just attracts some people to check it out!

    Nancy Mitts