<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] bits and...
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:51 GMT 2003
  • - April Johnson
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    Re: [RC] bits and... - April Johnson

    Hi, Cindi,

    My guess is you have a training problem, not a bit problem.

    I'll tell you my experience. When I got Tanna last year, he had a habit of
    tossing his head in the air in that I-don't-want-to-and-you-can't-make-me
    fashion.  It was quite irritating. I didn't really have an idea what to do,
    but I know why he did it.

    Before I got him, he'd been ridden in an S hackamore. The little piece
    holding the shanks together broke and the girl didn't fix the problem. So
    Tanna discovered that he could toss his head and remove her control. Other
    things happened and the girl returned Tanna to the lady she (and I later)
    bought him from. So I guess he thought if he threw his head high enough,
    he'd lose me, too.

    So I took him out of the Little S hackamore and put a french link snaffle in
    his mouth. Then we went into a round pen and worked on giving to the bit. I
    took up all the slack in the reins, but not tight, just took up the slack.
    Then I squeezed my hands together into fists like squeezing sponges. In a
    quick fluid motion, squeeze and release, until he dropped his head. Then I
    totally dropped the reins (total release), praised, and repeated. Until he
    instantly dropped his head when I gathered the reins. When he did that at a
    standstill, we graduated to a small arena and did that at a walk. And a
    trot. Then a canter. Must note that I didn't drop the reins anymore, when he
    gave to the bit, I just made my hands quiet instead of squeezing and
    releasing. Couldn't risk losing the reins on a cantering horse known to
    buck!

    Now I pretty much leave him alone unless he starts to throw his head or
    raise it to avoid the bit (or hack). Then we do the give and release again.
    It usually just takes a couple of reminders to get him back to listening to
    me.

    And I finally moved him back to the Little S this month. (I could have done
    it sooner, it just didn't cross my mind and I'd left it at my previous
    boarding barn and I couldn't find it for awhile.) And you know what? He
    gives to the hack, just like he gave to the bit. First time I rode him in
    the hack, I put him in the arena to see if he'd respond properly.

    You might want to try the above procedure.

    The reason I used the French link snaffle was because the middle piece lays
    flat on his tongue instead of popping him in the top of the mouth. I just
    wanted the bars on the sides of his mouth, not to pop him in the top of his
    mouth.

    Funny thing is, he LOVES a 5.5". He needs a 4 3/4", but I couldn't convince
    him of that. :)

    Good luck!

    April
    Tanna