<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Fw: Great Potential News for Trail Riders
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:52 GMT 2003
  • - Christine McLaughlin
  • - Diane

    [RC] Fw: Great Potential News for Trail Riders - Jeanne Slominski

    FYI for those who may be interested - Jeanne

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 2:56 PM
    Subject: Great Potential News for Trail Riders

    As a result of the involvement of Pat Dallam and I in
    the Truckee-Donner Land Trust, Karl Knapp of the State
    Park Service has solicited our input for planning
    trails and potentially a horse camp in Coldstream
    Canyon south of Donner Lake.

    I went over there today with Perry Norris, director of
    the Land Trust, and drove the Coldstream and
    Schallenberger RIdge to get an idea of what it was
    like.  Donner State Park is not now open to
    equestrians, but the Ranger RIck Silver gave me the
    gate code and permission to ride in there.  Taking a
    small group of equestrians in tomorrow to do some
    checking on horseback.  There were innumerable
    potential flat camp sites.  Some of the streams are
    ephemeral, so the big negotiation could be to get a
    location near water or be able to put in a well.  But
    it is a fantastic area!!!

    It will potentially access the 23 mile Donner Lake Rim
    Trail (scheduled for completion in next few years),
    and definitely accesses the PCT, and Tahoe Rim Trails
    for miles of superb riding.

    John Euer is in the process of selling off hugh chunks
    of the Euer Valley so dont know how long we will have
    access to this fine old horse camp site.  Tahoe-Donner
    is taking a vote of its property owners shortly to try
    to get approval to buy 240 acres which that want to
    make into a golf course.  There is a small free, but
    dry and little shaded horse camp at Davies Creek out
    beyond Stampede REservoir.  There are two fabulous
    horse Camps at Skillman and Jackson Meadows, both
    about 40 miles away.  We will likely need this horse
    camp in Truckee in the future.

    As you know, the State is broke.  So any horse camp
    building would need to be donated by equestrians.  If
    anyone can assist sometime in the future and would be
    willing to come up prior to help site the camp, and
    determine needs, please let me know your availabilty
    and interest in helping to provide funding/in kind
    service etc.  I can provide free lodging to volunteers
    thru a network of friends with places up here for
    those coming from long distances to assist.

    This is not going to happen right away as the State
    needs to complete its planning for the area.  However,
    we want to have a team of folks at the ready to assist
    Karl in any way needed to assure that this happens.

    Please let me know your interest and willingness to
    help make this dream a reality.

    =====
    Adda Quinn
    3027 St. James Rd.
    Belmont CA 94002
    650-592-0722 phone
    650-802-8654 fax but computer must be on, call first
    envirohorse@xxxxxxxxx Adda