<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Sportsmanship @ Tevis
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:53 GMT 2003
  • - DVeritas
  • - Endure4fun1

    [RC] Sportsmanship @ Tevis - Ridecamp Guest

    Barry Waitte waitte@xxxxxxx
    I have a couple of 'sportsmanship' stories from the Tevis trail.

    'Streak' and I left Foresthill in the 24th position and started riding with Madeleine Kirsch down the California Loop.  This was Madeleine's first Tevis, and Streak I were all too happy to lead her down the trail.  We had a great ride, got to know each other very well, and got into the Lower Quarry in the 9th and 10th positions!  About a mile from the finish Streak suddenly stopped as if his head was stung by a bee, and Madeleine got in front of us. With a top 10 position assured this was fine with me and we started the last push up to the hill.  As we approached the lights of the finish, Madeleine stopped and insisted that I lead us across the finish!  This is a class act by a wonderful equestrian.  I hope you all have the privilege to ride
    with Madeleine sometime.

    Another story is regarding my endurance training partner and close friend Jeff Townsend who rode one of my horses 'Sam' this year.  After leaving Francisco's in probably in the 30's position, the rider in front of him went through a switchback and fell off his horse.  It turned out to be a close friend (and his R'n'T partner!).  Clearly injured Jeff helped this rider back on his horse and WALKED over 7 miles to the Lower Quarry - to which this rider was then taken out by ambulance.  Jeff very unselfishly let well over 20 riders pass him to ensure the safety of his friend, to the point of jeopardizing his finish to overtime.  Jeff did finish in the 56th position for his first buckle.  I am proud to call Jeff my friend and he can ride my horse anytime. (BTW - the other rider is doing fine.)

    There are certainly other incidents where better sportmanship could have been played out.  It pains me to see when 'leaders' of this sport are the one's leading by such a poor example, and worse risking injury by their actions.

    With adversity we have the opportunity to make things better.  I had the ride of a lifetime and finished in a position far beyond my expectations, supported by a great crew and the most outstanding vet team.  This is a wonderful sport with mostly great people who go out of their way to help others and have fun.

    Ride on!

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net.