<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Endurance Awards
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:54 GMT 2003
  • - Typef
  • - Diane

    Re: [RC] Endurance Awards - Typef

    Endurance always was a little different than all the other equine competitions in the fact that "To finish is to win" where all the others were "be the best" if you want to get that trophy or through-6th place ribbon. I always thought it was so cool that everyone was treated as an equal for finishing a ride and got a buckle,and the first place horse and BC got an extra ribbon on top of the buckle. I've done both sides of the coin, having shown Western Pleasure and Equitation making it up to State level, and I've done Endurance. For me, Endurance was so much harder and not dependant on what a judge thought, etc. When I finished my ride, I felt it was an extreme accomplishment. It has been stated that the Tevis is equivalent to winning a three-day event. Hats off to anyone who can do that!

    Having had a 30-year break from the sport in between 16 and 44 years of age, I was shocked to find out T-shirts and bungie cords were the norm for a completion award now. I just finished reading my dad's old Sharon Saare "how-to" book and came across the page showing a sampling of completion awards and they were all buckles except for one which was a plaque and I recognized all of them since my dad rode in all of them.

    And please let me state very seriously, I am NOT complaining about the cost of the entry fee or what you get for it. I would gladly get no free lunch or whatever else there is (not having ridden a ride yet in this century, I don't what what else there is), in exchange for the opportunity to buy my own completion award if one were offered. The RMs work way too hard for me to ask them, in this day and age, to cough up a belt buckle at the prices they are asking for entry fees. And a second hats off to every RM that ever was. Without you I don't ride. Be right back ...

    *****

    ...ok, decided to do a little research just for my own information and decided to share. My mom had organization down to a science. Went to my dad's endurance box file and arbitrarilly pulled out the year 1978. A sampling of entry fees produced $45, $50, $56, $70 for the 50-milers I looked at and all gave silver buckles. I can imagine that in those days there were no frills and that's ALL you got LOL! I even found one (The Tar Spring 50) that was $50 for a completion award of a Big D nylon cooler and $35 for a completion certificate only and get this, for the 25-miler (didn't even know they had 25's then) $40 for a Comstock German Silver buckle and $30 for a completion certificate only. No buckle for the 50 but one for the 25. Go figure. So I guess my idea has been done before, I just didn't know it! The Bonanza Ox-Trail 102 was $85 for a buckle and $45 for a completion certificate.

    I don't know what these entry fees equate into given the rise in the cost of living in between 1978 and 2002 but I surely know that even $50 was a mighty amount of money in 1978!

    And again, please forgive me if anyone thinks I'm on a high-horse or anything. I'm a Capricorn and subject to debating with myself all the time (which my family thinks is funny) and I am always researching and looking at both sides. I will ride my rides and be happy with what I get, regardless of what it is. It is not why I choose to get back into a sport (any sport, I've been tied to my computer chair for the past 15 years). I chose endurance because I have experience in the conditioning end of it and have been to many a ride as crew, just didn't get to ride the ride. I am totally excited about going on my first in two weeks and I will cherich my coffee mug forever! I'll probably have a clear plastic cube made for it to go in so my rampaging cats don't break it LOL!!!

    Ok, I'm done. You guys are probably all saying "durn newbie ... hopefully she'll shut up soon ....." Besides, I like the Braveheart and Chickenshit stories much better than my rambling ...

    :) Jackie