<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] No Go Solo
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:19 GMT 2003
  • - Lif Strand
  • - Joan Ruprecht

    Re: [RC] No Go Solo - April Johnson

    Hi, Dede,

    Last year, my 8 yo Arabian gelding, Tanna, was doing the same thing. First
    thing my barn owner did was convince me to use a saddle with this particular
    horse and gave me one to reinforce it. :)

    For Tanna, the root of his spooking seemed to be fear. When other horses
    were there, THEY were the lookout, or at least, he had help with the
    lookout. When we were by ourselves, he thought he had to be the lookout.
    "She wasn't paying attention, I mean, didn't she see that new hay bale in
    the previously overgrown pasture????? What if it attacks us?? She is just
    asleep up there!"

    It took a lot of concentration on my part to look and see EVERYTHING that
    might cause him concern. He likes to hear me talk, so I'd talk under my
    breath to him to convince him I was still awake and attentive.

    When I saw something that is out of the ordinary or I thought he would spook
    at, I'd say "HUP!" (Means heads up please, got it from somebody on ridecamp)
    and I look right at what would spook him. Then I relax, look down the road
    where we're headed (no longer looking at the spooky soda can on the side of
    the road).

    For Tanna, after several rides out by ourselves, it started to sink in to
    him that I really was paying attention and while he still keeps a sharp eye
    out, he doesn't spook so hard anymore. In fact, he used to spook and run.
    Now he spooks and stops (most of the time). But his spooks are fewer than
    they were last year.

    Oh, and when we first started doing this on our own, he would spook, spin,
    sidestep, levitate, closer to the barn than farther. So for us, we needed to
    go far and wide.

    Another thing I did when we first started riding alone was to start out with
    a trail ride (I boarded at a trail riding and lesson barn). After a half
    mile, I'd ride off a little ways, and meet back up with the trail horses
    after 5 or 10 minutes. I did that a lot, making the time away from the other
    horses longer and longer. So maybe you could enlist 2 or 3 of your riding
    buddies to help you train that way.

    Course, the root of Tanna's spooking was fear. Your gelding might have other
    reasons for spooking (brattiness, laziness -- If I act up enough, maybe
    we'll go home, stubborn).

    But the above worked for us. Daniel and I were just talking about how much
    better he is now than last year.

    Good luck! It IS frustrating not to be able to go riding whenever you want,
    with or without company.

    April
    Nashville, TN