<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Trailers
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:22 GMT 2003
  • - Mike Sofen
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    Re: [RC] Trailers - Sullivan

    First in importance is ventillation-get the options that provide the most.  If you trailer lacks it, you can never compensate.  If too much, you can always stick a blanket on the horse, close windows, or put plex in stock sides.  I prefer stock sides as I live in Calif.

    My trailer is a slant/stock, extra tall, not sure of width.  Go with extra thick mats, if you can get them.  they will last a lot longer and help the horses as they travel.  I can put 5 in, on a slant, but 4 ride with a bit more space.  I do not have, or like dividers between the horses.  My theory is that the less "stuff" you have inside the area with the horses, the safer if you have to slam on brakes or get in a wreck.  Far easier to get horses out in an accident if no partitions!

    I paid extra for inside light, and rear loading lights.  They have come in very, very useful.  I have a hay rack on top, with room for 5 bales and big 70 gal. water tank.  The ladder got smushed on the front gatepost; it is just as easy to climb  up on the fender and up the slats to the roof......

    My inside wall (between the horses and tack area) is pinned on each walll, and can be swung open on camping trips or removed, or even set back a foot to give me a larger tack room in the future when I have less horses.  I had the company design it like this

    My tack room locks, a nice and necessary feature.

    I have inside tie rings, which is pretty stupid, since I could tie to the slats, but oh well.  I also have tie rings on both sides of the trailer, (a nice feature), since you never know which side you may have to tie too, but again, I could tie to the supports of the slats.

    Personally, I don't like drop down windows, for several reasons.  They usually don't provide as much air flow as stock sides; have hinges that are one more thing to rust and break, and, for safety sake, you either need screens or bars to keep the horses from sticking their whole heads out and getting them bonked....so if you are going to have bars...why not just have the stock sides.  With slats, you can reach in to retie a horse or adjust a fly mask, etc.

    Anyway, I go with the KISS theroy...
    Karen