<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Fw: Encouragement needed. . .
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:29:53 GMT 2003
  • - Laurie Durgin
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    [RC] Fw: Encouragement needed. . . - Laurie Durgin

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Laurie Durgin
    Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 10:55 PM
    To: Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Encouragement needed. . .

    Just wondering if anyone out there in Ridecamp land has  wondered if they or their horse would ever get it right?  We were on a training ride  and  he really misbehaved again. I'd ridden him for 9  mos last year, and he got really good at going out , crossing water , getting by spooks, and some passing occasionally with our other two horses.  Then we got out of training for about 5 mos. But we restarted  in May. The first time I took him out  He  tryed to run out at a grass patch we used to stop at. Then we spun to head high tail for home. Both times I nailed him and turned him  180 , and evning got a few crow hops, I had to get off land walk a ways , then remounted and he pranced  ,,I hal falted him almost constantly I got a bit scared at his behavior so I walked some more to calm us both down, (he walks like a meek kitten) behind me. Sooo I spent alot of time back in the ring. working on downward  trasitions. (He still doesn't stop when I want or where ) I got out all my John lyons stuff and practiced giving to the bit(he  doesn't give well, because the lady who had him  used mainly her legs and  he wasn't ridden much at all before I got him.) I worked on getting him to do what I said , not what he felt , like(In the past I didn;'t know enough to not let him just go  in any gait he felt like  when ever.)  He got more responsive and I took him out again with one of our other horses and he was a plug, and obeyed me. Then I started taking him out alone again. Fine at first, But either as he got more fit or just wanted to test me he started wanting to go. . .  The other day When I came to the creek, I was trying to let him drink, but he just swirled the water and spun  for home I nailed him after 4 strides, and turned him back, He put his head down like he was trying to drink, but then tryed for home> lSo I figured he was being a butt, and didn'nt need water, So I said , lets cross. We did  then  after I rode him up the hill, he wasn't interested in walking. I half halted a bit, then let him trot where it was safe(Georgia mud, a hole in the trail are not good trotting places) Then  He tried to spin again, I tried to  tur n him , but I forgot he can run sideways with his head to the right, (plus the reins were slippery note:need  new reins that aren't so slippery, these were nylon 3/8 cord,:the biothane are too slippery ,too.) So I did the Mary twelveponies trick, and let go the rein grabbed the other rein with both hands(Ild rehearsed this while watching John lyons tapes"Stop a runaway with one rain , two hands on it if necessary") And grabbed the left and did the 180(gosh what a limber horse)Since I was on the flat part of the power easement in dirt, I tried the "get him to do something you want him to do, alnd put him  busy" So we did 20 meter circles (or elipses as when  he was heading towards home) for a good15 - 20 minutes(understand this was early afternoon, in the uppers 80's  with 70% humidity. He actually was sweating. (Oh I had lost a stirrup on hs spin). Then I  tried for home and he began  to prance, So I got off in anger and actually slapped him (only the 2nd time I ever lost my temper  at him). He  looked surprised . So we walked somemore to cool off. I decided to take a shortcut home and  He pranced and I half-halted him jprobably 30 times. Finally I tried the  turn around every time he pranced(ie. trot in place) and make him walk a few steps, He acted  l surprised, like"What are you doing this is the wrong way"With a nudge he started walking quietly, so I turned him around, as soon as he pranced We turned around and when he walked a few steps we turned back. He caught on and  started to shift  if I made the slightest movement, like"I'm walking 4 steps, isn't it time for you to turn me around? I'm good, I'm good, now, now, huh, huh, now, now?" I  let him trot a bit, Then stopped him(he stopped at the big downhill we had to go (45-60%  muddy with a drop off on  one part)We walked down, to the creek, I sponged him there, and decided to remount,  It was okay , but we crossed the creek, he used a small ditch as an excuse to (Jumped it or bolted , not sure) I slowed him  down, and then we had another 45- 60% slope. I told him to trot up it, hoping to tire him some.   He then only  pranced a couple times, I half-halted or turned and walked  a bit. Then we  got to the 1/2 mile we always walk , and he  dropped his head, stretched out and   acted like a plug  all the way home. He then got to stand tied (in the shade, saddled (I offered water 3x) for  about an hour  or so and  then got his bath, no grazing on the backyard clover. Just  back to the Pasture(no grass to speak of)  . I also realised I used to rinse himn off , and let him grazeon a grassy spot(but it occurred to me he was getting rewarded, when he got home, maybe?)
       So, I got out my "No problem horses, just problem riders', and John Lyons tapes , and articles, and all the back issues of "Pactical Horseman, HorseIllustrated, and Horse and Rider" and  Ridecamp archives, and  tried to sort it  all out. Is he barn, sour,  buddy sour,  just testing me ,  etc. Or is he just  "impossible". He  was the first foal , imprint trained and got lots of attention at his barn, He is very affectionate, follows you like a dog , and will come upa nd give a rub, (not hard) (I've been told not to let him  it's a space thing, but I really think it's a form of communication, WHen I feed him  He  will stop eating and give a bit of a rub and   go back to  eating.  I do make him back up or just move  and give way whenever  I am around him , just ot make him do something. He follows some hand signals from the ground , If I point and "tellhim to go to his room ,"he goes around the barn to his stall, or I say "graze" and point, he will go to where I point, when I take the gates  down to the grass area . And he will come when I call, "dinner, or carrots". He then spent 3 years or so in a pasture, not getting much but a bit of ground work. Was  ground driven, then ridden by  barrel racer, who he threw and he reared once(they use d  a harsh bit at the  time) But then his owner rode him some, a bit. Then we  got him. She had to move. Bad idea , green  horse and riders, We all took lessons, got better. I actually can ride  your average horse and jump a bit.  I call him a Napolean wanna be. He tries to act like top horse, but backs down if someone  really challenges him.
      So I figured . . .  back to the ring. Work on  transitions, stops, halfhalts, giving to the bit, just making him do what I  say, when  I say, It.
      HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE AND DID YOU SOLVE IT, HOW?  Is this something I just have to work through? Am I on the right track?I'm not into just giving up.
        (By the way he is 9, but really has been rideen the last 18 mos alot by me , except that  break,  and he has improved alot. Sometimes he is really good, then he has these "Devil days".
    (I WON'T GIVE UP, I WONT' GIVE UP,(YEAH, JUST CONVINCE YOURSELF, MAYBE YOU WON'T REALLY GET KILLED). Laurie and Rascal, worth  about 35 cents today.