<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] arabs vs. school horses
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:54 GMT 2003
  • - Laurie Durgin
  • - Roger Rittenhouse

    Re: [RC] arabs vs. school horses - Laurie Durgin

    Life and energy and occasional fireworks, definitely not beige.. . .
    I been taking lessons the last 18 mos. to improve my riding with an eventing trainer.I absolutely got to hate riding her horses, you have to post, kick, post, kick, post. . .  all the time! Then I'd come ride Rascal and all it took was a slight squeeze. Now I am trying to get him used to the fact that all movements of my leg are not "go faster" cues. I did get to ride the one ex-show dressage horse there, the most forward of the bunch. But she always had everyone in draw reins(elastic ones) and the horses mouths were dead . I was always having to put 20-25 lb. of pressure on them. uuugghhh. (I know what the pull on a 35 lb. bow is, believe me it was 20-25 lbs.!) Then I'd come home to my light touch arabs, who anticipate my least desire,(then do what they want). Ah, at least it's not beige.   Laurie and Rascal

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Kristene Smuts
    Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 12:51 AM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; karla@xxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] arabs

    >>When people talk about some of  the personality traits of Arabs they always
    talk about them as being negative traits. I guess I'm one to *prefer* their
    hotness, attitude and ultra-sensitivity and all that rolled into a beautiful
    package! They are just a blast to ride!>>

    I once went to a western show with Ibn and in one of the classes I had to swop horses.  I got given a QH with a western saddle but the stirrups were for a 6 ft tall guy, so my feet didn't even reach.  Anyway, he got first prize for being able to stay on Ibn for one (very fast) lap around the arena and I got given second prize because I could make the QH WALK a few steps!  My legs definitely knew they'd just sat on a wine barrel that wouldn't go anywhere! ;-))

    To make Ibn go one gear faster, I sit up slightly straighter and go "hup" - no leg.  When I ride any other breed, I use muscles I never knew I had.

    So you're right - riding Arabs are a blast.  I like that they're opinionated, faithful, intelligent (sometimes to their detriment), they're survivors, are sensitive, full of fun ...... do you have time for more? ;-)))

    Smiles
    Kristene

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net.