<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] leg up
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:54 GMT 2003
  • - Rides 2 Far
  • - Kristene Smuts

    RE: [RC] leg up - Snodgrass, Bonnie

    I discovered a couple years ago a cheap easy wy to mount a horse without turning the saddle (Sport Saddle on round witherless horse). Just clip a lead rope to the off side D ring at the front of the saddle, pass the rope down the off side of the horse along the girth, go around the off side front leg, bring the lead rope up the horse shoulder and hold it with your left hand and a handful of mane. Mount up! as long as the lead rope has no slack in it your saddle will stay nicely in place and you can then just loop the rope around your horses neck and carry it along for later. My horses never had a problem with it but then again my mares are always perfect little angels. Yeah, right.

    Bonnie Snodgrass
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Paddi [mailto:seamstob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
    Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 12:29 AM
    To: ridecamp
    Subject: [RC] leg up

    I just went to the internet site. It looks just like the web handle off my brief case :-D
    I think I would want it padded with a neoprene or fleece  tube.
    It would be uncomfortable when weight is put on it I would think. Which could be why some horses don't like it.
    I also think that the saddle would still shift putting more pull on the strap then you realize because you step on the stirrup further back and it is just holding from the front leg. That is your wieght being distributed over a very small area. It would be like hanging with a piece of webbing under your arm pit supporting your own weight.
    It seems pricey for a plastic buckle , one snap and a few feet of web.
    Think I will test one out tomorrow on the horses.

    Paddi