<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Fw: Conditoning .. all hills
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:59 GMT 2003
  • - Laurie Durgin
  • - Lif Strand

    Re: [RC] Fw: Conditoning .. all hills - Laurie Durgin

    Yeah, I have pretty well figured his trot speed and am doing it by time. Yesterday I began it again after him acting barn sour, heckraising to get home as fast as he could. Obediant on the way out, but  we turned around. . . So besides doing half halts every few feet, or turning  him around and walking a few steps, and stopping and tearing down vines, and me walking a mile or so (beats the treadmill or him killing me): I said , guess who is going to trot around the ring for 20 min and work on transitions, walk , stop, trot.etc. He thought he'd get to eat the clover in the front yard, Ha. And actually get unsaddled.Then he got tied, while I fed everyone else(I'd fed him his bit of grain before we left, we have had this problem before , usually on late evening rides, not on morning rides.) But he did outfox me, when I came up to unsaddle him a nd brush him off , he was calmly eating clover in the backyard, . . . Should have locked that escapeknot, that I'd tripled...Is that why I call him Rascal?. . .
           Besides the ring will be a good place to get him used to softer footing like sand, its, rockdust, sand and dirt, I keep it loose with my dirtdog to about a 4' depth. . . Except when it rains , then it is spongy, until it dries, then its hardpan, then I drag it. . .. . Oh the thingsmoney could cure. . . except  time. . .  Laurie and Rascal

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Lif Strand
    Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 4:36 PM
    To: Ridecamp
    Subject: Re: [RC] Fw: Conditoning .. all hills

    Quoted from Laurie Durgin's message:
    >Think I'll at least do sustained trots in  the  ring.

    When we lived in CA and had our boarding/training stable, we had a 150' x
    300' arena that we bulldozed a track of sorts around.  Someone with more
    math skills than I could figure out how many times around it you'd have to
    go to get to one mile - I've forgotten how many now.  When I was short on
    time and needed to get a quick 5 miles in, I'd go around and around and
    around....  This was an Arabian show training barn and all the people there
    thought I was totally nuts!  I probably was, but I can also tell you that
    boring as it was, it did the trick.  I could canter as well as trot and it
    didn't take long at all to get some work in which was better than the
    alternative, which was not riding at all that day.

    Lif Strand
    Quemado NM  USA
    STRAND ENTERPRISES http://www.fasterhorses.com
    HERITAGE 10K RUN June 9 2002 Reserve NM
    http://www.fasterhorses.com/heritage10k.html
    * Distance Riding group/individual mentoring programs
    * Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
    * Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options