<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Micronutrients and bahavior
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:59 GMT 2003
  • - Ridecamp Guest
  • - FASTGraphic

    Re: [RC] Micronutrients and bahavior - Lisa Redmond

    I did see it--I just needed to think on it a bit.  Some Quarter Horses have
    "personality", as the herd manager at Clemson used to call it.  That could
    be a part of the issue.  Some of the bloodlines are more prone to that sort
    of thing than others--I've never seen a picture of the stallion Impressive
    where you didn't see the whites of his eyes...his line seems to be full of
    sass.  We had a couple like that in the riding string at Clemson, and when
    they had energy to burn they could get rather silly at times....we couldn't
    pasture them with sheep because they'd spend the day herding them, that sort
    of thing.

    Keep in mind that alfalfa is loaded with protein, which is what makes it a
    "hot" feed--what the horse doesn't need for protein gets burned as energy.
    If it's dairy quality alfalfa, which is common in that part of the country,
    it may simply be too high in protein--I've seen Idaho alfalfa test at 23%
    crude protein or greater. One thing you might watch for is mold--some mold
    toxins can affect the nervous system, and one of the downsides to alfalfa as
    a hay crop is its tendency to mold.  Where you are, that isn't as big a
    problem, but it does still happen.  As far as micronutrients, the only one
    that seems to be high in alfalfa is potassium, and excess potassium is more
    prone to decrease nerve and muscle irritability, rather than aggravate it.

    I'll post this answer to ridecamp, too....maybe Susan G knows something I
    might be missing.