<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Mustang/Arab Crosses
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:59 GMT 2003
  • - Rides 2 Far
  • - FASTGraphic

    Re: [RC] Mustang/Arab Crosses - Sullivan

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Rebecca Hackworth" <bechack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    > Well, there are at least 2 out there (or were) as I bred my Mustang
    > mare to Arabs over 30 years ago.  Ended up selling all three to get
    > married (stupid move).  Sure wish I knew where they had gone.

    I just sold a 12 year old Arab/mustang mare that way by a Crabbet/Kellog
    stallion out of a BLM mustang mare.
    She had ended up being sort of the extra horse when my son lost interest in
    riding, and I was feeling the squeeze of too many horses, and it made more
    sense to keep the younger ones and sell her before she got any older.

    She was a super horse, though.  Just under 15h, and somewhat stocky, but had
    very smooth gaits, especially a fast downhill walk.  She did paddle in
    front, which I wondered if came from the Mom and vaguely spanish mustang
    lines?

    Sold her to a lady who does extensive Park Patrol and Search and Rescue. I
    let  her out on a month trail, which included the buyer taking her to a 40
    hour POST (Police Officer Sensory Traninng) session, which she passed.

    Anyway, she had always stayed sound and was fun to ride, I used her a lot to
    trim trail and pony the babies.  Here, she was just part of the herd, now
    she is a personal horse, which I think will be better for her.

    The bonus was, she was a perfectly marked 50/50 tobiano pinto.....her color
    grulla/buckskin, with black and white mane and tail.

    She only did 2 LD rides with my kids, but did okay-I know her recoveries
    were not up there quite as good at the pure ARabs, but she did as well as
    any of my ARab crosses....

    Times I really miss her, though
    Karen