<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] [RC] What do we do if we suspect our horse has WNV?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:13 GMT 2003
  • - Rides 2 Far
  • - Rebecca Hackworth

    RE: [RC] [RC] What do we do if we suspect our horse has WNV? - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

    There are also a gazillion other types of equine encephalitis, which is what WNV is. The one time we got someone to test our horses to see if there was WNV at the barn, the horse prompting the test had something called Zimba. Never heard of that before, but we were very surprised to see that most of our horses had at some time contracted about 6 different viruses...and not all of us were people who did any encephalitis vaccinating...including WNV. At any rate, the treatment for them all is pretty much the same as Lisa said:
    The focus of therapy is to decrease brain swelling, treat fever and provide supportive care. Medications would include Banamine, dexamethasone, DMSO and maybe IV fluids and feeding if the horse isn't doing either on it's own.

    Massaoud, the then 22+ yr old stallion who was the victim was the only horse in the barn sick and the first signs were hindquarter lameness/stiffness, a swollen scrotum, and lack of interest in food. He got through it and is still trucking along about 5 years later. He was very sick at the time, no doubt about it, but he's a tough old bird and came through. Ths is a horse that at age 17 had his picture taken at a local jumping show, sent in to George Morris' column in Practical Horseman where he usually cuts riders to pieces, and got the published comment that if the USET horses had the guts and spirit and talent he did, they'd always get the gold. He's quite a guy.

    Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
    Cairo, Egypt
    maryanne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    www.ratbusters.net

    -----Original Message-----
    From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of oddfarm
    Sent: June 22, 2002 3:52 PM
    To: Bob & Amber Roberts
    Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] What do we do if we suspect our horse has WNV?

    I don't know. If your horses are vaccinated, then they should be protected, therefore is shouldn't be a waste of money. However, you are giving your horse a dose of WNV when you vaccinate. But, when the vaccine came out, the info I read said only about 100 horses had been tested. That is not a very high number for vaccine testing.

    I would check out the websites I listed and see what else you can find out  about some statistics on horses that have been vaccinated. And of course, talk to your vet. I am only passing on the information that I got from this seminar.

    All we can do is get as much info as possible to make the best educated decisions. That is all we can do.

    Lisa Salas, The Odd Farm