<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] liability
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:13 GMT 2003
  • - Michael Maul
  • - Nancy Mitts

    Re: [RC] liability - Laurie Durgin

    I looked into boarding a horse or two and letting my daughter give a few lessons and maybe a pony party occasionally. But first. . .  I talked to my insurance agent, who we had all our lives and my parents ,State Farm MUtual.  They said they cover us IF we or friends ride our horses and no money changes hands. As soon as I do any for profit activitiy or make any money they would cancel our policy and not cover any incident. Even though we have a equine liability law. Alot of people I know board a horse aor two and the insurance agency says they think they are covered , but are not. They could get sued by everyone involved. Like if the neighbor kid leaves your gate open and a horse gets out and someone hits it and dies or just damages their mercedes. I tried contacting ppl  all over ht state and no one is sure the equine laws would really protect you. After all negligence is vague or open to interpertation. The quotes I got for equine liablility didn't matter if you  wanted to board 1 horse or 20. The cost of the policy wasn't worth the litttle I'd make, hoping to just help pay for my horses feed and expenses. I decided the risk was too great to make a couple thousand a year.  Laurie and Rascal.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Linda Dewees
    Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 7:40 PM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] liability

    I worry about being sued too.  I was a 4H horse leader for 7 years and had lots of playdays at my house.  Many borrowed horses and it got pretty nerve racking making sure every one stayed safe.  But the kids had a ball!    This last year I've been giving riding lessons to some really nice kids.  I make them affordable and just want the kids to have the opportunity to love horses.  But I'm always worried that something will happen and we'll get sued to high heaven and lose everything.  Lessons have stopped for the summer and I don't think I'll be giving them any more because it's just too risky.   Does anyone have any advise on this?  I like kids, kids love horses, horses need exercise, and lessons buy hay.  But I don't want to risk being sued.  Shoot!

    Linda

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=