<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] LD
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:15 GMT 2003
  • - Randy H Eiland
  • - Barbara McCrary

    [RC] LD - Randy H Eiland

    I agree almost 100% with Roger's statement.  LD is a full and equal
    segment of AERC.  When AERC decided that LD participants must be members
    of AERC, they gave LD the full recognition and rights of all other
    distances.  Training Rides occur outside the regimen of a sanctioned AERC
    event.  Once you are entered in the sanctioned event, your are then
    "testing" your conditioning and training program against the sometimes
    arbitrary judgement of endurance vets and the finite judgement of the
    clock.  The fact LD is competing against the clock establishes that LD is
    a "race" of some sort..at the very least it is a competition against
    time.  I have no problem with people doing this - that is why we hire
    vets to observe, judge, and protect the equines against the overzealous
    rider.

    btw, about the only thing I don't like about Roger's statement is that he
    has decided not to run for DAL again.

    Randy Eiland

    From: Roger Rittenhouse <roger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: [RC]   LD Ride or Race what ever you want

    FROM   Roger Rittenhouse     roger@xxxxxxxxxxx

    I happen to NOT have any problem with  'racing ' a 25 miler, nor 50 nor
    100 ..

    AS LONG AS THE HORSE IS FIT AND READY TO PERFORM AS ASKED

    CLEAR?
    Until AERC decides our sport does NOT reward a first to finish then
    some of us will race , I do,  am not ashamed of saying so.. SO

    or should I say I TRY.

    Last year - when I let him run -  I had a horse FIT and in
    shape to run at the level I let him run - I NEVER MADE him run.. or
    race.
    I only 'really' raced in 2 - 25 milers - I was using them as training
    rides for a faster 50 miler later in the season.. it was a TRAINING
    'ride' that just happened to be  fast enough to be considered a race.
    Since we came in in TT or real close . In the SE we reward horses that do
    well at
    any distance.

    Therefore IF YOU want to see a change in the way the sport is managed
    and defined, I suggest you send in your $5  to the AERC Office place
    your name on  the list of candidates for Director at Large.
    Then TRY to make ANY changes in the way the sport is run.

    You are welcome to my position its open.

    Very few if any on the BOD will suggest we remove the current LD
    placing venue. I doubt there will any changes.

    Would I vote to remove the placing venue - that is the current
    definition of LDs   NO -    I only have two meetings left, I dont think
    this will be an agenda item.

    When I return to rides this fall - I hope to be competitive to the
    level of my horses condition and ability .  We MAY go fast.

    > Quoted from Merryben@xxxxxxx's message:
    >>Also, I feel very strongly about "racing" and "winning" limited
    distance
    >>rides.  I feel there is no such thing.
    >
    > How many others on the BOD agree with this?  Is it time to really look
    at
    > the purposes of LD and ensure that that's how LDs are managed and
    that's
    > how LDs are ridden?

    Roger Rittenhouse