<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Protecting Horses / vet checks
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:17 GMT 2003
  • - John & Sue Greenall
  • - TypeF

    RE: [RC] Protecting Horses / vet checks - Bob Morris

    OK Roger:

    Try this argument; we seldom see problems on the trail. No,
    I am not saying we do not have problems on the trail but
    they are of the minority. The problems seem to occur when
    the horse is in the process of descending from the
    adrenaline high they have been running on.

    So, you get to the pulse stop and 10 minutes into the stop
    your horse shows signs of having a problem. NO VET! SICK
    HORSE! MANAGEMENT IN TROUBLE!

    If you have the control you must have the support for that
    control.

    Now, in a regular stop with a vet in attendance you ALWAYS
    have the second opinion of a professional when there is a
    question about pulse. There have been times I have had to
    resort to this second opinion in order to continue on in the
    ride. Non-Vets do not have the experience to make the go-no
    go decisions. How many thousand horses have I pulsed over
    the years? But I still do not have the experience/authority
    to say a horse is not fit to continue.

    Bob

    Bob Morris
    Morris Endurance Enterprises