<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Less controversial topic? Human hydration!
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:18 GMT 2003
  • - Lynne Glazer
  • - Linda Hedgpeth

    Re: [RC] Less controversial topic? Human hydration! - Lori Bertolucci

    Patti, if you drink only when thirsty, it is too late. Your body has already started to become dehydrated, and it is much harder to "catch up". You should try drinking about every 15 minutes when riding, especially on the days that are hot and humid. Even tho' humans need electrolytes, the need for plan water is also important, so remember to drink both. I haven't been into endurance riding for that long, but I used to run 6 miles a day or cycle 20 miles a day in the Bakersfield summers. To do that you really need to learn to drink lots of water.

    Lori B.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: RISTREE@xxxxxxx
    Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 11:21 AM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Less controversial topic? Human hydration!

    In an effort to chat about something less volatile . . .

    What do y'all do to make sure you stay well-hydrated during endurance rides?

    My hubby and I carry water (and drink a 22 oz bottle each loop, generally), suck down Gatorade (usually an entire 16 oz bottle) at the vet checks, and sometimes still end up not getting enough.  The only time I can stand the sweetness of Gatorade is at a ride, so I know I must need the lytes.

    Know some folks use the Camelbaks or something similar but just can't imagine carrying that water on my back when I ride on a hot day.

    I know how much water I drink when I work out at the gym, how hard I work, and how frequently I need to urinate afterward.  (Sorry, folks.)  But sometimes at rides, I'll not need a pitstop on trail or at a vet check for more than a couple of hours.  That's not good.

    Thanks in advance for your ideas!

    Angie, if the answer involves spongeing myself out of puddles, or anything involving self-administering out of a dosing syringe, I'm going back to dressage (where I can sip a chardonnay post schooling session)!

    --Patti (in the NE, where it ain't the heat, its the humidity)