<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] A little more Help on Windpuffs
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:19 GMT 2003
  • - Barb Jefferson
  • - Steve Shaw

    Re: [RC] A little more Help on Windpuffs - Becky Huffman

    It sounds like this mare has many issues. She may, someday, make a decent
    endurance horse if you have time  and skill to put the work and training
    into her.  From what you are describing, I think many people spend 1-3 years
    getting the horse ready, physically and mentally, to compete.  She will need
    most of that time to build a LSD base, so it isn't time wasted, as long as
    you are making progress.   You need to assess the situation, do you have the
    skills needed to re-train this mare, or will have you have pay a trainer?
    Are you willing to invest the time in her, or would you rather have one you
    could start riding right away.  I think these are two of the key questions
    that you need to answer to yourself in regards to her.

    I haven't worked with many ex-race horses, but it is my understanding that
    they have been exposed to much hustle and bustle on the track and during
    traveling, so while I understand her being skittish about the cows, I wonder
    about some of the other actions you are describing, including the terrible
    ground manners... aren't racehorses handled daily by a variety of people?

    regarding the windpuffs...  hopefully Dr Smith or Dr Newell or someone more
    knowledgeable will correct where I am wrong, but I understand windpuffs
    indicate past damage or overwork.  They don't themselves make a horse lame
    or sore, but indicate the horse has been overworked in the past.  So you
    know the mare has been overworked.  To what degree, you don't know. -what
    you also don't know is details about any past damage.  Did you have a vet
    exam done on her?  that would be a good opportunity to have your vet exam
    the windpuffs and talk to you about what they could mean in regards to her
    potential as an endurance horse.  Personally, I consider 6yo to be young,
    and would be shy of one with windpuffs, I'd have to really like it in many
    other ways. It isn't the windpuffs themselves that are a concern, but since
    she is still stocking up, (without work?) I'd want to know what they are
    telling you about her legs.

    Becky Huffman, Cleburne, Texas
    www.TheOriginalSeries.com
    www.BlueArabianHorseCatalog.org

    "Good and Ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing
    among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. "
    -Aragorn, son of Arathorn