<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] horse uninterested on training rides
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:19 GMT 2003
  • - Lauren Horn
  • - Linda

    RE: [RC] horse uninterested on training rides - Whiteaker, Steve

    Title: Message
    Hmmmmm. Interesting that you should mention the spurs. John Lyons says he tries to ride 75% of the time with spurs. He claims it keeps both him and the horse honest. He rarely has to use them, but the horse knows when he's wearing them and "listens" much more closely and responsively to his leg queues.

    Steve
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Ric & Gretchen [mailto:tpranch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
    Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 9:30 AM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] horse uninterested on training rides

     <snip>
    Wellllll........here's another perspective~

    My best trail mare was a 'prima donna'.  When I first started this mare, she hated conditioning rides--she would walk or trot as slow as possible, try to graze with every step, and just goof off in general.  Carmelita was lazy and practice was not one of her favorite words.  The first three rides were rough because she would not move out unless I really got on her case.  At our fourth ride together, I donned spurs and carried a riding crop .  'Lita decided that moving faster would get me off her case and back to camp. Eventually, when we arrived at a ride and she saw me with the number bib and her halter tag, she moved into her "competition" gear.  She has a ground-eating, flying trot and a fast, easy to sit walk, but I rarely got these gaits at home.  When I finally figured this little quirk out, it made all the difference in our partnership.  So---I stopped conditioning and rode for pleasure at home.  However, I would vary the schedule and sometimes our little pleasure ride was 10 miles or longer.  After awhile, her "competition" gear would engage and she decided that a nice, fast walk would get us home sooner.  I also donned spurs and carried a riding crop at home......after a few months use of these, the spurs were not necessary.  I continued to carry the riding crop, but rarely had to use it.  We developed a great relationship.  She knew that when I rode, it was time for work.  When my daughter or a guest would ride, she could lolly gag and go slow.

     <snip>