<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Not-So-Happy Camp Experience
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:20 GMT 2003
  • - Tracey
  • - FASTGraphic

    Re: [RC] Not-So-Happy Camp Experience - DeAnn Schnepple

    Maybe this will be offensive to some, but when I know I will be out in really "wild" country I carry a gun.  Yes, I have a permit to do so.  At first I thought I would get it for protection from those "weirdo's" you sometimes encounter, but I know now that if my horse were in such a bad situation that it was just suffering I think I could use the gun to end it's suffering.  Hopefully I will NEVER have to be put in that situation, but you just never know.
    Nina, I know words cannot bring your dear gelding back, but we are all glad that you are safe.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Tiffany D'Virgilio
    Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 11:28 AM
    To: SandyDSA@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; caballos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] Not-So-Happy Camp Experience

    on 6/15/02 11:06 AM, SandyDSA@xxxxxxx at SandyDSA@xxxxxxx wrote:

    I am so glad you escaped! I am also just so so sad about your sweet gelding. I had thought as I had to keep brushing back tears that you thankfully had a cell phone with you. I sat down and rehashed my OWN list of stuff to keep ON me since I have gotten lazy and stick everything on my saddle, including water and cell phone. I haven't carried my pepper spray with me for over a year. I will now.

    As tragic as this is - and even more so COULD have been - to me it was a wake-up call as well, both about riding alone and riding without those things that can keep you safe. I used to ride when alone prepared for just about anything - a weirdo on the trail, a mountain lion, even a landslide on the trail - after El Nino. Tomorrow We will troop out to teh parb since we will be cleaning tack anyway and refurbish our saddles AND wasitpacks with those things needed to be safe.

    Nina, thank GOD you were not lunch or something. You are in our prayers. We love you - and for that very costly and hurtful lesson for ALL of us, thank you.

    You know, the more I think about this....
    What exactly should you have with you for emergencies? I pretty much always ride alone, in the mountains and foothills where there is lots of wildlife.
    I usually carry my cell phone, easyboot, vet wrap, knife, water, but that is about it. I don't want to have a huge pack, but my synergist does have the three built in packs. I've only been scared about wildlife a couple times near dark, but again when you are 15 miles from home way out in the mountains and brush, what do you need? Or must have, I should say? I really treasure riding in solitude-most of my friends don't want to ride as far or as fast as I do, so 9 times of 10 I am by myself.
    Tiffany