<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] How do you know? (long)
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:27:29 GMT 2003
  • - Don Pollock
  • - Milinda Ellis

    Re: [RC] How do you know? (long) - Becky Huffman

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Milinda Ellis <milinda@xxxxxxxxxxx>> If it's any consolation to you,
    everyone in that ride was getting lower
    > marks on gut sounds.  My God, it was over 120 degrees in my tent and
    wasn't> much cooler at either the vet check or the finish line...  I kept
    hearing> the vets say to push electrolytes and extra calcium.  The later in
    the <snipped)> going to recommend electrolytes to those still planning to go
    though.  I'd> like to ride there sometime, just not in "Texas summer".

    I overheard a remark that the Six-O has the perfect average temperature for
    an endurance ride.....   notice the key word there - *average* <G> ...  if
    you take yesterday, and figure in the -30 degree wind chill we had in Jan
    '99 I suppose you would get that 'perfect temp'.!

    We had a wonderful ride with 21 finish the 25 (27 starters) and 18 (out of
    24) finish the 50.  It speaks well for the skill and sensibility of the
    rides who finished, as well as those who pulled as needed.  This is a fun,
    but challenging course, and really tough in the kind of heat and humidity we
    had. Khristin Seymore ran away from the pack and won the 50 by almost an
    hour, and also took BC - Great Job!!!

    The Pack-Burro Race finished 4 of 4 starters...  We had four junior and four
    adults along for the run.

    Special THANKS to all for making this happen!! Especially to Val Jaffe for
    vetting, as well as allowing Cubee to run with Marshall Broadway, and
    Woodrow  with Tracy Cann, Shanna Decker and Danielle Muncy.  Gina and Zach
    Rollins ran with Lena, and Justin and Jacob Huffman with Gandalf.  We had a
    Fabulous time. I know everyone was surprised at the speed and
    competitiveness of the donkeys on the trail. Judging from the enthusiasm of
    the participants, as well as spectators and crew this is definitely a sport
    that will be growing.

    Becky Huffman, Cleburne, Texas
    www.TheOriginalSeries.com
    www.BlueArabianHorseCatalog.org

    "Good and Ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing
    among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. "
    -Aragorn, son of Arathorn