<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] {RC] Pedigrees
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:55 GMT 2003
  • - Karen J. Zelinsky
  • - Becky Huffman

    [RC] {RC] Pedigrees - Becky Huffman

    Drinkers of the Wind by Carl Raswan is in the process of being reprinted.  Also by Carl Raswan, An Arab and his Horse.  Another very good one is Arabiana, that is an anthology of articles about Arabian Horses reprinted from magazine articles from 1959-1974.

    for the more research and history minded is The Nobility of the Desert by Klynstra.

    for those who are becoming insanely addicted : you may want to tackle Merit of the Horse in Islam. by Al-Hafez Abdul-Mu'men Al-Dumyati & Sketches of Coursers of The Highest Breeding by Muhammad Al-Bakhshi Al-Halabi. This is two books reprinted into one, translated by Dr. Munzer A. Absi and Asmahan Sallah.  This one does not name specific horses in American history, but is a summery of some the Arab way of looking after his horse.  a short quote from the introduction. "In brief, these books reflect the Arab's fascination with the horse, its beauty, significance and merit in Islam. It was the most significant riding animal for dwellers of Arabia before Islam, and it had its great importance in Islam. The horse was their means of transportation , of earning a living and of defense. It was the subject of their hobbies, pastimes, and songs. Above all, it was their wealth, for they had no wealth dearer than the horse."

    "Good and Ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. "
    -Aragorn, son of Arathorn

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: DiaComm
    Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 2:31 PM
    Subject: RE: [RC] Pedigrees

    A couple of other books that are helpful/interesting are The Crabbet Arabian Stud, Its History and Influence by Rosemary Archer and Drinkers of the Wind by Carl Raswan. Both are out of print. I was able to find them in a local used book store over the last couple of years.

    The Crabbet Arabian Stud book is the story of the Blunts, their daughter, Lady Wentworth, and Cecil Covey, who inherited the stud when Lady Wentworth died.

    A fun little book is Wadduda of the Desert, A Legend of the Arabian War Mare, by Jean Ivey. A book targeted to young adults but fun for anyone that loves Arabian horses. It's based on a true story. The mare ended up as a member of the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show.

    I'll stop now.... one of my favorite topics!

    Diana