<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Rice Hull Bedding
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:55 GMT 2003
  • - Shayne Smith
  • - Outlaw Trail

    Re: [RC] Rice Hull Bedding - Lisa Redmond

    Let me put it this way--I won't use rice hulls in any rations I formulate, for any reason.  They have a very high silica content, (basically organic sand), and that makes them very abrasive.  If it can increase the wear on feed mill equipment, it sure can't be good for the gut lining, and animals consuming rice hulls are known to have problems with inflammation and bleeding in the gut tissue.  Basically, as a feedstuff it makes great sandpaper....probably why they're cheap enough to buy for bedding.

    Lisa

      ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 6:02 PM
    Subject: [RC] Rice Hull Bedding

    Hi Everyone,

    I am curious...  Where I currently board my horses are on rice hull bedding.  The hulls are soft and fluffy and seem to make nice bedding (although they do blow around alot).  I am wondering if there is anything negative (or heck - even positive) that could result from a horse ingesting these hulls.  The horses don't *eat* them per se, but they get in everything so I'm certain they do ingest them.

    Thanks!
    Sossity