<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] musings re "the good old days"
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:55 GMT 2003
  • - Becky Huffman
  • - Teri Hunter

    Re: [RC] musings re "the good old days" - Barbara McCrary

    I can chime in here with some of my personal experiences:

    1)  On my very first endurance ride, I was mounted on a horse that had no
    conditioning at all.  I had no mentor to teach me anything, and I felt that
    a ranch horse that had been walking up and down a hill every day, to and
    from water, was fit to do a 50 mile ride (in extremely hilly country, to
    boot).  At the first vet check, 12 miles into the ride, there was no water.
    Water at that point wasn't considered necessary in those days, 32 years ago.
    At the 1-hour vet check, my non-conditioned horse was alert, but had a
    flaccid anal sphincter (recognized now as a sign of extreme fatigue).  The
    vet noticed this, but said the horse looked alert and he would let me go on.
    Farther down the trail, my horse felt hot to the touch, but wasn't sweating.
    Even I, with my lack of experience, realized something was wrong.  I saw a
    tub beside the dirt road-trail, with a faucet.  Great relief......my horse
    could now drink.  Wrong!  The tub was empty and the faucet yielded no water.
    I kept on going.  Finally we came to water, and finally  I reached a paved
    road where my husband awaited with a trailer.  It had taken me 12 hours to
    go 45 miles, the ride was over, other riders had already eaten the BBQ, and
    there I was, completely dejected and humiliated by my failure.  But the good
    news is, despite what the horse went through, he survived to ride another
    day.  He never became much of an endurance horse.  He was a lightly made
    running QH, with an extremely nervous temperament.

    2)  Fast forward to many years later.....I'm riding my favorite little Arab
    gelding, who had developed a tendency to thump.  It was a hot day and at the
    1-hour vet check, he was thumping.  A well-known and knowledgeable vet told
    me, "We aren't as concerned about thumps now as we used to be."  That was
    the popular theory of that time.  I went out of the vet check, and not
    surprisingly, the horse began to slow down.  I was all alone on the trail
    and soon we came to a water trough.  I was so relieved!  But the trough had
    been drained by all the horses that preceded us, so he had no water.  We
    went on to the next vet check.  Again, a vet passed us, though I was very
    concerned.  I thought, "I feel this is wrong, but surely the vet must know
    better than I."  WRONG!!!!!  I rode out of the vet check, and within 1/2
    mile, the horse groaned and was into colic.  I dismounted and started to
    lead him back to the vet check, when the vet and his P&R crew were driving
    out.  I had been the last one in and he was clearing the check point.  My
    horse had to be treated on the spot.  He too, lived to ride another day,
    even compete successfully, but hydration was always a serious concern for
    him.

    So don't let anyone believe that everything in the "good old days" was
    better, or even much different, than it is now.  We were just more ignorant
    then than we are now, and sometimes just LUCKY.

    Barbara McCrary