<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Top of the Rock-Grain Brained!
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:56 GMT 2003
  • - Maggie Mieske
  • - FIREDANCEFARMS

    RE: [RC] Top of the Rock-Grain Brained! - Jerry & Susan Milam

    Just thought I'd share my inexperience with everyone. This is my 4th 50
    miler and it turned out to be a doozie! I hope nobody flames me too
    badly......

    Well, we did get back safely from our ride in Indiana at Top of the Rock.
    The ride managers, Bob and Lois McAfee put on a great ride as usual.  The 50
    milers had an added incentive of racing for money at this ride as well.
    Knowing this and also knowing the temperatures were to be close to the mid
    90's, the vet staff also set the pulse criteria to continue at 60 BPM for
    all vet checks to probably further protect our equine athlete partners. The
    IAHA was offering a significant purse to at least the top 10 horse/rider
    teams. To qualify for the purse you needed to already have at least 100
    miles of 50 mile rides within the past 2 years and you needed to have a
    sweepstakes nominated arab or half arab and be a member of IAHA.

    This ride certainly did not work out like I had planned. I was concerned for
    Fly's hydration and energy level the whole week prior departure. If he has
    any problems during a hot race it's hydration and I hate electrolyting.
    Since we haven't done a 50 miler in 2 years, I also wanted to "top off his
    tank". I read Susan Garlinghouse's 3rd part in her series of how to avoid a
    metabolic problem, which was about energy levels and decided I would try to
    give Fly a grain boost for the race.

    I was very successful at the boost by the way. I really got more than I
    bargained for.

    Fly hasn't been grained since we opened the pasture back up mid April which
    totally slipped my mind in this whole process of preparation which is the
    critical error in this ride experience. After much soul searching and self
    chastisement I determined I'm a very inexperienced endurance rider with an
    extremely talented mount. I'm just so thankful to God we didn't get killed
    or maimed during our learning process. I gave him a mixture of 1 lb of
    sweetfeed and 1 lb of beet pulp Thurs evening, Fri am before trailering,
    when we got set up in camp around noon, at dinner and before I tried to go
    to sleep. SO he got 5lbs of grain within nearly a 24 hour period! Now the
    morning of the race I expected him to behave like the last race we did 3
    weeks ago which was his best ever being always alert to my cues and rating
    flawlessly. YOU've GOT TO BE KIDDING! This horse from the moment I mounted
    him was like a maniac. He was a totally different horse than I had ever
    ridden before. I like to mount about 30 minutes before the start so I can
    get a feel of how he's behaving. He trotted with extreme suspension for 30
    minutes straight before the start. The only respite I got from this constant
    bounce was when I turn him into a tight circle and caused him to stop
    altogether. He just about wore me out before the start of the race! This
    race had 49 horse/rider teams competing in it. It was about 70 degrees at
    start and climbed to 93 by mid afternoon with humidity at 70-80%. Our first
    loop of trail was 25 miles, then 15 miles and the final loop of 10.

    Then they announced the trail was open and everyone started trotting briskly
    across a wide open field and through two gates to a the paved road that
    eventually led to a trail about a mile down the road. I was amazed at how
    fast we were moving out. Everyone on the road was 2 and 3 horses abreast and
    kept the same fast pace even on the pavement- with most horses having steel
    shoes on. I had my plastic shoes on and I was totally confident of my
    footing on the pavement. I tried to keep Fly out from being directly behind
    anyone in case they should (God forbid) lose their footing and go down.
    Having anyone behind them going at that speed could have ended up with a
    domino effect that was catastrophic.

    We finally got to the trailhead which was about 5 ft wide across and people
    started cantering and galloping and going still faster. I had planned to
    start around the 10-12 position and then move up as the trail allowed. Fly
    always does well at pursuing the riders ahead of him and then passing them,
    the only difference now was that we were already going at a very fast clip
    so early in the ride and so crowded a trail at the beginning of the ride. We
    moved into the the 1st and 2nd position and then I started trying to pull
    him back because I knew this was too fast a pace for conditions through the
    day. We were galloping and not aerobic at all. All the horses were blowing
    hard on their exhale which means they were anaerobic. The first 5 miles flew
    by and I was drenched with sweat from trying to hold Fly back from going so
    fast in some slick muddy areas. He refused to let me rate him with my normal
    tug on the noseband, I had to get really physical with the pull to make him
    even slightly slow his pace. At about 8 miles out I had to take off my
    glasses, I couldn't see at all with the sweat in my eyes and the glasses
    were steamy. By now, I'd had enough of dangerous speed, so I yelled behind
    me that I was dismounting and pulled him off the trail and allowed 5-6
    riders to pass us. I dismounted and stood on the ground next to Fly. I tried
    hand walking him down the trail awhile to see if he would settle down and he
    about dragged me in the mud. I soon got back on him, feeling I was safer
    mounted on his back than on the ground. Another mile or so and we started to
    descend steeply and the trail changed from a  5 ft across carriage trail
    raceway to a boulder/rock-strewn lane that was very treacherous and Fly
    wanted to keep up an extended trot through it! I was hauling back on him so
    much, I couldn't pull back any harder- plus I didn't want to pull him off
    balance and really get us hurt through those rocks! Those rocks led right to
    a rocky creek that was under a drop-off of about 3 feet. We got safely into
    the creek and then I tried to give him the chance to drink----"you've got to
    be kidding",but at least I slowed him down a little....... So, off we went
    after the leaders up the steep and winding rocky switchback trail. We caught
    up with another rider and I put him in right behind her so I could relax for
    awhile. This gal ended up coming in 3rd place and told me I could sit behind
    her as long as I wanted. That was really appreciated. We did a good extended
    trot for a good couple miles and then I pulled him back again because of the
    pace. He wasn't tiring at all.

    He had worn me out already. I couldn't believe the pace we had already done.
    I was almost in tears and ready to go back in to camp and pull from the
    race. I was exhausted. I used up so much adrenalin fighting him I couldn't
    ride anymore. I was so very nauseated because of how hard I had to fight him
    to keep us safe. The trail came back to the same orange gate where we
    entered to descend to the rocky creek, I knew I could just follow the trail
    back to base camp and pull out of the race- Thank you Jesus! I had spent all
    the energy I had to give for the 50 mile ride in the first 15 miles of it!
    Fly beat me up. Also a consideration in this race was my own physical
    condition. I have lost 22 lbs in the past 7 weeks and that must be too much
    weight to lose in that amount of time. My diet started on April 9th and I
    really felt weak and beat up. On May 11th we had done a fairly difficult 25
    miler and Fly had done well with a BC in that ride and I hadn't had any
    problems with strength while riding-although my legs were feeling very heavy
    after the last loop and I got off to walk him to the Vet check.

    It was totally my fault that this happened. My loyal, loving, courageous
    companion turned into a senseless idiot because I gave him too much grain
    before the race. It's one of the first things you learn when you start
    caring for your own horse and trying to control the "hot" nature of any
    horse, especially arabs. I had totally forgotten this in managing events for
    this ride.

    I had very mixed up emotions as I came back into base camp. I knew the
    management staff would see me coming from a direction that was not the way
    the 50 milers were supposed to come back into camp from the first loop of 25
    miles. We crossed the big open field we had started across and at the start
    of the ride.  I dismounted and hand walked back to our VC crew area. My crew
    was just coming up to the site and they saw us as we walked toward them.
    They looked at their watches and it was only her and 20 minutes after we had
    started and they were expecting me back to camp after around 2.5 hours. I
    explained that Fly was out of my control and I couldn't fight him anymore so
    decided to pull out of the race. The pace that we finished the 15 miles in
    was the same as we had done the same ride 2 yrs ago, but with all the
    slowing and stopping and walking to control Fly's pace. I couldn't figure
    out why this had happened until I started putting things together.

    #1- I should have never grain loaded Fly who is an extremely "hot" horse
    without grain added.
    #2- My rapid weight loss may have made me weaker than I had expected for
    such a physical first loop.
    #3- The added incentive of money for winners must have had an influence on
    the pace of the race from the start.
    #4- My inexperience as "the brains" part of our endurance team had a lot to
    do with the result of this ride experience.

    We met and camped with some very close friends from our Air Force past who
    are living in Kentucky now-only 1.5 hrs from the ride site. They brought
    their kids who are our God-children and they had a blast with our kids.
    Pulling out of the ride also gave me more precious time with them and as the
    end of the ride stats showed may well have saved my horse from a metabolic
    pull during the ride as well. I am a firm believer that God is in control of
    everything from holding the planets and stars together to allowing me to do
    some stupid stuff and being disappointed, yet at the same time protecting me
    from evil and possible heartbreak. He is the only and good God. "All things
    happen for good to those who love God and are called according to His
    purpose."

    Live an learn. Fly and I will be around to ride still another day.

    Happy Tails,

    Susan and Fly Bye