<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Howard/passports
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:18 GMT 2003
  • - Trailrite
  • - cheval

    [RC] Howard/passports - Howard Bramhall

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: CMNewell
    Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 10:16 AM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Howard/passports

    Howard, you keep bringing up the issue of FEI regarding passports like it's
    some big deal.
    Ever seen one? Know what they are?
    They're simply  a little booklet with an id section, so the horse entered
    is who it says it is, and a record of immunizations and Coggins tests.
    No big deal.
    I do  a lot of work for some event horses which have passports, and, aside
    from the initial filling out of the ID section (where they want all the
    damn cowlicks on the body), all I need to do is enter and sign off when I
    vaccinate these guys. It's actually handy to have an up to date record, if
    you're travelling.
    Makes filling out health certificates a snap.
                            --CMNewell, DVM

    Ummm, OK, what's the costs involved?  And how often to you have to get them?  And, except for FEI, why on earth do I need such a thing?  I have 4 to 6 horses here.  What would that run me, per annum, for a passport for each one of them?

    It's just a bone I have to pick with the whole show type arena I feel FEI brings to the table.  If that's your choice in how you want to do endurance, great, go for it.  I just don't see it as necessary for riders like myself who are perfectly content (well, not perfectly) as to how things are run by AERC in the states.  I don't plan on putting any of my horses on a plane anytime soon.

    cya,

    Howard (but I'll root for the USA, Canada and the Aussies for first, second and third, respectively, anyplace they compete in the FEI endurance world)