<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Green Horses
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:21 GMT 2003
  • - Mike Sofen
  • - Cindi

    RE: [RC] Green Horses - Mike Sofen

    At just one ride in the NW, one mile into the ride, an out-of-control horse dumped its rider on his head causing concussion (and was lost for a few hours wandering the desert without his horse), and then several miles from the first vet check, yet another "green" horse kicked at another horse but missed, hitting instead the rider, causing compound fractures of her leg and requiring a medievac helicopter ride.  And those were just the injuries I heard of.  It was one of those rides.

    You must understand I'm not advocating more rules or standards.  What I'm trying to point out is that there are people at rides who are quite oblivious to almost anything going on around them or their horses and these people can become inadvertently dangerous to those around them.

    When I use the term "green", I am referring explicitly to horses with a sub-standard level of training.  This has nothing to do with age or miles or even if they've been to events.  Do they understand basic cues, will they back, have they been socialized to other horses - all of your BASIC groundwork.

    At their first endurance ride, ALL horses are "novice" when it comes to endurance, and they may be hard to control, nervous, excited, etc..  There's a huge difference between that and being green, IMO.

    In reference to Juli's dressage trained horse - he wasn't green, just not used to endurance, and that can certainly be managed through different training before the ride, and specific techniques during the ride.

    I definitely don't want to put a green horse into a situation where his only "support" is other green horses, aka, an LD.  I would put a "novice" horse into an LD...that's my distinction (although I'd prefer a 50 rather than an LD).

    Lastly, it's only a small price if you're the one not injured.  Green horses will appear at every event, regardless of rules and regulations.  What I'm saying is, owners should take conscious responsibility for getting their horses past the green stage.

    Mike