<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] new topic re green horses
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:22 GMT 2003
  • - Susan Garlinghouse
  • - Heidi Smith

    RE: [RC] new topic re green horses - Mike Sofen

    For us, since we weren't there to win any awards (or even follow the rules much, for that matter), what we did was do a normal training pace (averaging 5mph) but when we knew we were "too far ahead" of our time, we'd stop in a nice green meadow and let the horses eat, let a bunch of people pass us, then move out again.  It worked well.  I'm not sure if eating on the trail is allowed in NATRC, however...  :-)

    Mike
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Heidi Smith [mailto:heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
    Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 7:43 PM
    To: msofen@xxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] new topic re green horses

    Having just done a 25-mile LD in 5 hours on two green horses (well, I was only on one, my husband was on the other...  <g>), and thinking it was REALLLY slow, I don't think we could get many of our good prospects to go as slow as what NATRC decrees for their novice rides.  That's less than 3 mph.  Unless the terrain is just tortuous ups and downs, we'd have to WALK the whole way to go that slow.  We did 5 mph at the LD, which included A LOT of walking, and a fair amount of time at a nice, medium, working trot, and still had PLENTY of time to stop and learn about things along the way.  That's about as slow as I'd care to go with a horse that's got anything on the ball at all.  Much slower, and he'll be looking for something else to do along the way....

    Heidi