<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] bald horses or move? Long. . .
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:23 GMT 2003
  • - Howard Bramhall
  • - Laurie Durgin

    Re: [RC] bald horses or move? Long. . . - Laurie Durgin

    I may try this!!!!I kind of wondered if it could be mange . I seemed to notice once after worming they got better. I worm 8-10 weeks with ivermectin. Wouldn't hurt to rub some in. But what about reoccurrence? The vet put them on Psuedephdrine, but it's 40$ and may last 2 weeks. He said steriods may be the answer... But I can't race a horse on drugs(he'll just be bald) and I know long term it is a problem. (My mom got them for years and she was mentally ill probably from18 yrs. on steriods).

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: heidi sowards
    Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 9:37 PM
    To: Laurie Durgin; Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] bald horses or move? Long. . .

    Laurie, I've got a gelding like that!! One out of two
    horses! I've heard (here on ridecamp) that it is sometimes
    caused by mane mites and that quest rubbed into the base of
    the mane (with rubber gloves) works, I think I saved
    someone's e-mail re: this, but can't find it! I "think"
    that person (if you're out there, correct me!) also
    retreated 2 weeks later and that took care of the problem.
    I haven't tried it yet, but have it on my list of things to
    do!

    heidi

    --- Laurie Durgin <ladurgin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Well here goes . Maybe someone out there has had this
    > experience. For 1 1/2 going on 2 yr.s now My horses have
    > had periodic mane loss halfway down their manes. I have
    > had the vets look at them, I have tried the following.
    > Bathing in Betadine, dandruff shampoo, diluted bleach
    > solution, captan, ringworm ointment. And lately a ph
    > solution. Everything seems to help some,  but then it
    > reoccurs. The old mare with other  an allergic cyst
    > problem has only had it twice. My two arabs more , my
    > mare about 4 times, my gelding twice that, with the most
    > loss.The hair starts to grow back, but usually not as
    > thick, sometimes it grows back fairly well, other times
    > it just sits and does nothing. I have tried to figure out
    > what could be the cause.  Two other horses we had , had
    > it once, but bathing seemed to clear it up and when they
    > went to my daughters trainers barn , the problem never
    > reoccurred. My first vet  couldn't figure it out. His
    > partner came out and I explained all the particulars. No
    > one mane pulls, no unusual rubbing, It happens year
    > round, but there seems to be a connection with rain or
    > humidity/ bugs. He thought it could be an allergy
    > reaction (with 4 horses?)  We do have some springs and
    > some mushy spots on our property. We have about 2 1/2
    > acres turnout and two small pastures for occasional
    > grass.
    > He thinks it could be flies, (I do fly spray them, for
    > the good it does, and  a sprayer in the barn, which they
    > have open access to. ) There is a creek  1/4 mile away,
    > He said it could be mysquitos, gnats, or some plant they
    > are eating. (not many plants in their turnout, though
    > there are poplar, pine, dogwood, oak trees, 2/3 are
    > fenced off from them) I do have their hay bales in a
    > hayring which is rusty.. . They eat round bales of
    > fescue/bermuda mix, get some pelleted feed, and
    > Shoglo(vit. suppliment). The yearling doesn't have it.
    > They have plain salt, and mineralized block available.
    > They didn't have this problem the first two years. . .
    > He says it takes  time for sensitivities to show up and
    > manes and tails are sensitive. . .  He suggested , better
    > fly control, bird and bat houses. And maybe a screened ac
    > stall(my arabs stalled all day, yeah, right...) Or MOVE
    >   (do I look independently
    >  wealthy?)
    > I did prevail on him to take hair samples. . .Next course
    > if the culture doesn't take, a biopsy is next.
    > Rascal could live with a roached mane, won't effect his
    > looks, But Honey who has better breeding and could
    > actually show someday looks silly with 4" of hair missing
    > in the middle of her mane.
    > If Scout, the yearling wasn't with them I could try fly
    > sheets, make  mane hoods, etc., but he thinks his job in
    > life is to remove all clothing and fashion accessories...
    > (Now I know  why Charlie Brown said
    > "UUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"(His horses were bald!)
    > Laurie(is there generic Rogaine?)Get more from the Web.
> [...]

    =====
    Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~    http://www.synjinarts.com
                     ~~/~~  \\~~~~   (Wildlife/Western & Equine