<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] King of What?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:20 GMT 2003
  • - Sandy Bolinger
  • - Truman Prevatt

    Re: [RC] King of What? - Milinda Ellis

    Pat,

    Amen!  I'm glad you said your reply bounced before I tried unsuccessfully to do the same thing.  That's what has always happened when I just hit "reply" instead of their email address (when they choose to include it).  Let's see if this one goes through...

    If someone is so adamant about the message they are trying to convey, have enough nu...., er backbone to sign the damned thing -- with a real name!

    I agree -- I certainly won't cry if endurance never becomes a spectator sport.  That would just tickle the Hell out of me!  I've always like the fact I could take kids (my own or someone else's) to a ride because it's family-oriented, and I think this "racing" thing would detract from that.  There have been very few rides I've been to (as in: none!) or heard of where some damned fool was "racing" for a tee shirt or e'lyte syringe and ran their horse into the ground.  For one thing, someone would probably snatch them off their horse for that sort of nonsense!  One of the first things that attracted me to endurance is the fact that it's one of the few activities still left in the world where people utilize COMMON SENSE!  If people want to run for money don't let the gate hit them in the ass on their way out.  Unfortunately, the idiots won't be the ones being removed from the gene pool by natural selection -- their horses will, and they don't deserve that.  It may not happen at that particular race, but it will happen.  None of mine are expendible!

    BTW -- when did the AERC "[lose] its position in the USA and the world for the top riders"?  What are you basing that on?  As for you stating "it is just a matter of time before another "entity" emerges in the USA to take over as the controlling organization of the sport of endurance racing" I've got a comment on that, too.  I hope to God that if there are enough "NASCAR-wannabes" (for want of a better term) to actually get out and race their horses like this, that whatever new organization is formed will have the decency to call itself something so far-removed from "endurance riding" and/or "AERC" that no one connects them to us.  That would be one helluva mess for us to have to clean up!  I, for one, would be pretty irritated by that and EVERYBODY would know I was unhappy!

    I can foresee this creating all sorts of problems.   If this actually materializes and this other group winds up injuring horses with all this public attention they seem to crave for their sport, some of those "misguided" animal rights people (I won't call their organizations name but you know who I'm talking about) are going to start causing problems for the rest of us because we're "endangering" our horses.  Let me tell you this -- if that happens, it won't be my horse that's endangered!!!  You say, "[a]nd it ain't gonna be AERC I can promise you that!"  Well, I hope no one else thinks it will be AERC, either.  And I'll even sign this post will my real name and email address...

    Milinda Ellis
    Beargrass Cleveland Bays
    Jewett, Texas USA!!!