<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Eco-challenge
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:20 GMT 2003
  • - EquesB
  • - William Rice

    Re: [RC] Eco-challenge - Sullivan

    Hi Bill,

    I appreciate your comments and clarification.  It still seems a bad idea for
    me, for several reasons.  One, it takes years of riding experience to have
    both good balance riding at any kind of speed, and good hands, to not be
    balancing by hanging on the horses mouth.  Secondly, I would think it would
    be difficult for an inexperienced rider on an unknown horse, to have any
    feeling or knowledge of how that horse moves and if the gait if off any
    (i.e., the horse comming up lame)
    I know experienced riders hop on strange horses and do Tevis all the time,
    but they have years of riding and horse knowledge. Still, each horse is
    different, and I would be extremely reluctant to loan out any of my horses
    for anything like this!  How will a new rider know if the horse is slowing
    down becuase it is a bit lazy, tired, or perhaps starting to tie up?
    If the horse is extremely eager and wants to go, how will they know they are
    riding past that horses physical ability?
    Given that these are animals with no way of communication except "horse
    language", whch experienced riders often misinterpret, seems like too much
    opportunity for abuse, with non-horse people, who perhaps may be in
    competitive mode.  Horses are NOT bicycles or kayaks, to be discarded when
    that leg of the challenge is done!
    Karen