<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Navicular
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:21 GMT 2003
  • - rides2far
  • - Tracey

    RE: [RC] Navicular - Snodgrass, Bonnie

    Long toes, low heels, mismatched angles between the pasterns and the foot, probably causes more "navicular syndrome" than anything else! Just my opinion of course.

    Bonnie Snodgrass
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Lysane Cree [mailto:lysanec@xxxxxxxx]
    Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 11:40 PM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Navicular

    I just finished reading an interesting article in the latest issue of the Quebec Equestrian Federation's monthly magazine. It discusses a study that was financed by the American Quarter Horse Association and done by Dr. Robert Bowker from the Michigan State University's College of Veterinary Medicine. What was interesting about it is that it suggests that the breakdown of the navicular bone is only a manifestation of the problem, rather than being the problem itself. Rather, the hoof as a whole as well as management practices need to be examined. It goes on to say that shoeing and insufficient turnout can be primary problems because the hoof is not able to function as it should in its natural state...the frog not coming into contact with the ground enough and inadequate circulation of blood (i.e. if the horse is standing around alot). Instead of putting bar shoes on the horse, the suggestion is that shoes be removed and the foot trimmed so that the frog is in contact with the ground. The horse should be turned out on pastur e as well as receive regular exercise (as much as it can under the circumstances, even if it is just walking in hand). Dr. Bowker sees navicular disease as a people problem and that it is often a result of the horse being a "stall potato".

    I am not trying to say there is anything wrong with your management practices Maryanne, but perhaps all of the stall rest your horse was forced into because of injuries is part of the reason for the navicular spur. I'm no vet here, just throwing out some information I came across....and waiting for your thoughts... :)

    Lysane

    Find, Connect, Date! Yahoo! Canada Personals