<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Eco Challenge-was FEI perspective
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:21 GMT 2003
  • - Maggie & David
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    RE: [RC] Eco Challenge-was FEI perspective - Marlene Moss

    I’ve been watching the Eco challenge for a few years – fascinating!  It looks totally incredible.  There is usually horseback, mountain climbing, kayaking/canoeing/rafting, mountain biking, more climbing, and sometimes rapelling legs.  I think there was ice climbing one time.  The horses have always been provided by the country the event is held in.  They are usually suited for the trip – and some can be pretty hyper.  The horseback leg terrain is not typically difficult (at least as far as what they show on tv, which is never enough), so I think 20 miles is much tougher on the human than the horse, even if pulled out of the backyard.

    The horses are assigned randomly, so if a complete novice gets a hard to handle horse, that’s the breaks.  I can’t remember if it’s always the case, since they always gloss over the horse leg unless there is an accident, but not all team members had to ride in the last one in New Zealand.  I think 2 of 4 members rode, the other 2 hiked a shorter distance.  Causes problems if only one team member is a sufficient navigator!

    Boy, if I could snap my fingers and be in shape for something like that, I’d do it in a heartbeat.  But in reality, I’d probably be like the lady this year that was crying that she hates bikes and didn’t want to continue!

    Marlene Moss

    Moss Rock Endurance Adventures

    www.mossrockendurance.com

    mossrockendurance@xxxxxxxxxxxxx