<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Money fer Nothing, Part Ten
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:21 GMT 2003
  • - Michael Maul
  • - Maggie & David

    [RC] Money fer Nothing, Part Ten - Howard Bramhall

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Tracey
    Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 5:12 AM
    To: Howard Bramhall; goearth; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; odd farm; KARL
    Subject: Re: [RC] Money fer Nothing

    At the risk of making Howard think I'm picking on him....: )
    ----
    Ha, get in line for that one.
    ----
    Lisa made some very salient (hee hee) comments in her mail, and has picked up on something I hinted at in my earlier email, and nobody seemed to notice.  That showjumper I spoke about?  The millionaire?  He didn't go out to win for the purse.  He didn't need it.  Think Howard's "Sultans of Swing" need the purse?  No, they don't.
     -----
    I don't think I've ever stated they need the money.  My problem with them is they use their money to control what goes on in FEI endurance.  And, to top it all off, they sponsor and even ride for the same money they are providing, and my guess is it will be them who gets their own million dollar award, which really means the money doesn't go to any other riders but themselves.  The money is a ruse, a joke, because it goes back to the sponsor from where it came.  How does that happen you ask?  Because they control the rules of the game.  This is not a level playing field.  Read some of Maryanne's posts about all this; she sees it first hand and I don't think anyone would accuse her of being bias.
    -------------------------
    Most wealthy participants in any sport probably throw more money INTO a sport than they take out of it.  That's why we call them "patrons".  Why on earth should we reject their patronage out of hand.   The points made about integrity would come into play here : keep the rules clean and the officials fair, and the sport shouldn't suffer.
    ------------
    The reason one needs a sponsor or a patron to do FEI endurance is because they have quadrupled your expenses, for entry fee alone, when compared to an AERC ride.  They've made it too expensive and difficult to compete in (most of the rides are overseas) unless you have someone to foot the bill.  For top riders, that's all perfectly fine, and you bet I'll root for the American (and Aussie) teams.  But, if all rides were like that, you will make it only a rich person's sport; folks like me would drop out because of the costs involved, along with the added bullshit.  My point is AERC is what I enjoy and, quite frankly, needs no improvement.  They have it down cold.
     ------------------------

    It's when PEOPLE are corrupted that the rot sinks in.  And this isn't because people want to win money, it's because people want to *win* at any cost.  And, as Lisa pointed out, you see it at every level.

    Tom Sites wrote:
    The purists who want to keep $$ out should realize that Flat Track Racing to me injures and kills more horses than endurance ever will.  The walking horses look inhumane to me.  So this sport Endurance is gonna remain pure?  If you can't trust a priest who can you anymore?    Howard,  how do you figure your Gal Val keeps it up? Does she make a buck how she can?  I say go for it...
    for if money comes in so should all those intangibles that cost nothing.  Thats where AERC and the Vets come in and believe me folks its coming in and you can sit back and cry PURITY or you can shout CONTROL.

    Tom is 100% on the money.  You can't fight change, Howard.  I still, after all these years of "professional" showjumping, hear "old hands" at the game bemoan the demise of professinalism.  And you know what?  Some of what they have to say makes sense, but nobody takes them seriously.
    I disagree.  You can fight change, especially if the change is not what the people want.  I refuse to sit idly by and watch it come without warning others.  As Paul Revere said, while riding his 17 hand American Saddlebred horse that night, "The Foreign Endurance Idiots are coming, the Foreign Endurance Idiots are coming!"   The invasion was halted, and look at us now.  haha

    Tracey, you and I live in completely different worlds.  The only thing that is similar is the word "South."  From what I can tell, FEI is the only choice you have if you want to compete.  It's not that way over here.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  If I wanted to participate in FEI rides I would have to travel great distances and pay huge sums of money to do so.  I elect not to do this.  AERC is still King of the Hill here in the states, and I'm confident it will remain King for quite some time.

    cya,
    Howard (OK, now I'm really done; I just didn't want Tracey thinking I was ignoring her)