<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Question: weird clicking noise from horse
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:21 GMT 2003
  • - sharmark
  • - rides2far

    Re: [RC] Question: weird clicking noise from horse - Lisa Redmond

    Rae--The clicking has me baffled, but the fact that Scarlet's insistence on
    cantering instead of trotting and her trot feeling "weird", along with the
    wobbling and trembling sound like a magnesium deficiency--it can cause an
    equilibrium problem sometimes. Then you had the stiffness, which sounds like
    some tetany going on there, as well.  Potassium can tie up magnesium...are
    you using a lot of electrolyte supplements?  They are high in potassium, so
    the mare's potassium/magnesium ratio may be off.  The clicking could be a
    side effect of the tetany.  You say she cleaned up her feed without any
    problem--did she by any chance spend some time eating/licking mineral after
    you put her up?  If so, she may have corrected the problem herself and
    that's why she's doing fine this morning.  Grass tetany (magnesium
    deficiency from eating lush spring growth) isn't something that normally
    occurs in horses, but if she's on pasture as a significant portion of her
    forage diet AND getting electrolyte supplementation, that could be what's
    happening.

    Lisa