<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Endocarditis
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:21 GMT 2003
  • - Christy Hawes
  • - Mike Sofen

    Re: [RC] Endocarditis - Christy Hawes

    Thanks for that great reply! I am glad to see you say DO NOT BREED horses with bad temperaments! That is as much a fault as bad legs!  I live in Montana and my gosh, people breed all kinds of stuff. I cannot believe that bad legs around here.

    As for your stallion, I am sorry you had to go through such a horrific ordeal :(
    Christy Marie Hawes
    Secretary/ Treasurer - Herron Park Pony Club, Big Sky Region
    Secretary - Arabian Horse Club of WMT
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 11:43 AM
    Subject: Re: [RC] Endocarditis

    In a message dated 5/13/2002 10:00:17 AM Pacific Standard Time, blondy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    Can you tell me what endocarditis is? Is it from a virus or can it be hereditary? For the many people that read RC and don't know what it is.... you may want to clarify in case someone thinks "oh my gosh, why is she breeding a stallion with a hereditary weakness". Just a thought that you might not have considered...
    Thanks.

    Good thought! Frankly, I know more about this than I would EVER want to know, and while it is severe, it is rare, and not contagious, nor is it genetic. It is a bacteriral infection on the aeortic valve in this case, most likely transported by pigeons, drawn by the neighboring poor maintenance of other fowl. ( Could I express that ANY more politely??). Just to reiterate - it is NOT GENETIC, and so fortunately no moral quandry - as if there should BE one - about whether or not to breed him. Our retiscence about breeding him had to do with  not wanting him to drop dead on the back of  amare:).  In addition, we DID want to make sure there were no genetic or other implications that could affect foals. There are none. We are just delighted that not only he survived, but also that he is enjoying his life once again - he LOVES endurance, he LOVES his mares, and he LOVES cruising the paddock hanging with us.

    Endocarditis is siomply a bacterial infection, in thsi case, lodging on the head o fthe aeortic valve, in such as way as to prevent compelte occlusion on the valve during that phase of heart action. It is manifested in a profound murmur as well as a monumentally inefficient heart fundtion, often resulting in death. Sal endured months of chemo level antibiotics, COMPLETE STALL rest, followed by months of walking and turnout, and when they had an idea he might NOT drop dead in his stall, he was allowed to trot a bit again. This was over a YEAR in coming. As he was vetted sound at each 6 month check, we were given the green light to bring him up a bit more, with oru hopes being modest - to at LEAST have him able to go for a few miles out on trail and perhaps cover a few more mares, never DREAMING or hoping he would come as far as he has - completing 4 LD rides in the past 16 months, producing two more foals with 3 on the way! Sometimes one just has to ask for the big miracle - don't think small!

    IF Sal is able to someday do another 50, it will be because he just HAPPENED to get that fit safely, not because it was a goal - our goal has been more than reached - he survived, he is happy, and he is sound, thanks to our own vet staff and the exceptionally gifted - and humorous - Dr. Norm Rentannan.

    So - is Sal safe to BREED? Yes, he is, in every way. Can he pass on anything detrimental due to this endocarditis? Absolutely not. Nothing hereditary to worry about. That was a good reply and for a number of reasons, I Am glad you brought it up. There are SO many things that we SHOULDN'T breed because they are transmissible weaknesses, and I am such a pain about that -  bad coupling, nasty temperaments, cow hocks, ewe necks, bench knees - you see it all, and while many horses who don't READ the vet manuals on weaknesses still excel, there is no reason any of this should be BRED. By no means set these horses aside because they have even a rather glaring fault - but ride them within their capability, and for Lord's sake, don't BREED it. Odds will nail you eventually.

    Especially in the sport of endurance, clear and genetic faults should be avoided at all costs. It just isn't sensible, right or even financial feasible (for those more concerned with the dollar) to produce these horses. Hard enough to sell good ones for a decent price, don't you think? It costs pretty much teh same to feed a good horse as a poor one - so why do with the poor candidate? Breed, ride, and buy the best candidate you can.
    san