<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] anything essential missing from grass? AKA,how to deal with barn manager?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:22 GMT 2003
  • - Merryben
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    Re: [RC] anything essential missing from grass? AKA,how to deal with barn manager? - Lisa Redmond

    Oh, boy...barn managers and trainers like that really tick me off.  Protein
    is not adequate in pasture for a yearling, so Sombre needs a protein
    supplement...but too much energy for a yearling can be dangerous, and can
    lead to bone problems.  The collective term for that is DOD...developmental
    orthopedic disease...and includes such problems as osteochondrosis,
    physitis, contracted tendons, cervical vertebral problems, etc.  Generic
    mixes are usually formulated for adult horses and are critically deficient
    in protein. Be sure she's getting adequate phosporus and a proper
    calcium/phosphorus ratio as well.

    Are you by any chance near the Middletown/Myersville exit at I-70?  I know a
    nutritionist in that area that does some horse work and might could help you
    out.  He works primarily with dairy cattle, but he also does some horse
    work.  Let me know if you want his name and how to get in touch with him.

    Lisa