<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] MFT or TWH??
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:22 GMT 2003
  • - Ridecamp Guest
  • - John A. Teeter

    Re: [RC] MFT or TWH?? - Duncan Fletcher

    I would not pay much attention to the breed, but to the individual horse.
    Gaited horses frequently don't always do their signature gait. They can
    generally be made to do a multitude of gaits, but may have a natural
    inclination to another breed's signature gait - and many have a natural
    tendency to do a stepping pace. In terms of disposition and muscling, the
    overlap of more to less within each is large enough to make it difficult to
    tell which is greater on average. Recognize that both breeds have the same
    background, some fairly recent (the MFT studbook was reopened for a number
    of years with TWH being the most common stock brought in). And be aware that
    TWH also have a good deal of non-TWH blood in them. A study a couple of
    years ago indicated that 20% of the horses were not out of their registered
    parents.

    Pressed for speed, gaited horses in general will tend to rack (assuming they
    don't go to a stepping pace). A good FT or RW will reach speeds of 7 mph +-,
    but this is a rough number. A rack can reach substantially higher speeds.
    For a horse in condition and what that is not being made to do the gait
    unnaturally, 'indefinately'. That said, it probably is not quite as
    efficient as a trot in which case you would expect the horse to tire
    somewhat sooner.

    You might also try to reask the question on the gaitedhorse list at
    yahoogroups.com. Lee Zeigler is the most knowledgeable person with regard to
    gait and she is a regular on that list. Julie Suhr might also be able to
    shed some light as to what gaits she used when she was competing Marinera. A
    slow paso llano is essentially a RW - although at faster speed it could be a
    rack and the sobreandando is a stepping pace.

    Duncan Fletcher
    dfletche@xxxxxxx