<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Re:Do gaited horses do endurance?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:23 GMT 2003
  • - C. Eyler
  • - Sundaez

    [RC] Re:Do gaited horses do endurance? - Dana B.

     Laurie,

    I suspect you were behind a Peruvian Paso, not a Paso Fino.  My PF don't throw up mud, but my riding buddy's Peruvian can really send it sailing.  Riding through water is also an interesting experience.  The action of their front legs (termino) can really throw stuff around. ;-)There are a few PF that do this to a small extent (dates back to a long closed stud book once open to Peruvians), but most don't now.

    Dana

    From: "Laurie Durgin"
    Subject: Re: [RC] Do gaited horses do endurance?

    Interesting sidenote to PF and endurance. I went to a clinic last year
    with a 12 mile loop and rode behind a PF part of the way. BIG
    MISTAKE. . . The trail was muddy in spots and that horse threw mud
    sideways and back. And in spite of the wrap around sunglasses I wear
    while riding to protect my eyes from debris, (I wear contact lenses),
    she flipped mud up, into my eye and under my glasses. I had to stop
    land clean my contact. . . Sooooo just don't ride behind one on an
    endurance ride. . . Could this be a new secret weapon giving unfair
    advantage ? Laurie

    ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx