Re: RC: Mare pins ears

SunsetOvrC@aol.com writes:

<< My mare pins her ears whenever I ask her to trot or canter, not only when
 use leg aids, but also if I only use a voice cue.  She seems to do it more
in
 the arena than when on trail.  I have just had her teeth floated and changed
 to a saddle that fits her well.  Her back is no longer sore when I palpate
 it.  So what is it?  A bad attitude, or memories of pain?  How can I
 encourage her to stop it?

 Pamela

My gelding does the same thing. He has a resentful attitude when working in
the arena when I ask him to canter. He is better now, but it is still there.
He is more than happy to canter out on the trail. No pinned ears at all no
matter what I'm asking of him. <g>
It could be remembered pain, but more than likely it is just the attitude
thing.
I think it was John Lyons that said, "There is nothing like an arena to suck
the go out of a horse."
On the other hand, I have another horse that much prefers the arena to the
open trail. <sigh>

Jan