Re: RC: very old horse question

For anyone in the Ohio area (or anywhere else that Buckeye sells; not
sure how far their range is), a good alternative to the Equine Senior is
Buckeye's Wrangler. A complete feed, but pelleted rather than a sweet
feed -- handy for the cold weather!  cheaper too.  A friend's foundation
mare lost the ability to eat hay some years ago.  She tried several
different feeding strategies, including the EquineSenior.  she probably
wasn't feeding quite enough of it, but with having to make a separate
trip to get it and the cost and the fact that it was hard to manage in
the winter, she started looking for other options.  We're great believers
in Buckeye feeds so she checked and got the recommendation for Wrangler.
Feeding the same amount by volume (and actually a little less by weight)
the mare picked up weight pretty quickly.  She still gets grain with it
and hay pellets, to stretch the Wrangler, but it has worked well.
so all old horses aren't created equal.  What works for some may not work
as well for others.  So you may need to try various things to see what
works best (gradually, and giving each a chance to show you some
improvement, of course).