LSD & slow/lazy horses

Ok, the discussion recently about slow/lazy horses & the current thread on
long slow distance has prompted me to ask a question.  I have a 4.5 year
old Arabian gelding that I have been working in dressage since August (his
initial training & my introduction to dressage).  I decided to go this
route per the frequent ridecamp recommendations to use dressage to help the
horse overall (back, hindquarters) & to help me become more
centered/balanced (not exactly a FW :).

He is coming along & has been on 2 official trail rides (off the farm).  At
the end of both the rides (mostly walking with some trotting), he has acted
like he was on death's door!  Both rides were in the 2+/- hours duration
(which included stops for training -- e.g., crossing mud puddles!).  We may
have done 5-7 miles on each ride.  Our normal work schedule is one 60
minute lesson each week, arena work 2x week (30-45 mins each), & a ride in
the field of 45-60 minutes each week.  We have worked up to this schedule
-- it is not what we started with.

Is he playing me or is this part of the conditioning regime?  Neither time
was he sweaty, even under the saddle.  I'm doing my best not to be
impatient -- I want him to still be sound in 20 years!  My previous horse
that introduced me to endurance was 12 when we started conditioning so I
have no comparison.

TIA for all your wonderful advice!
Vicki Wheeler & Spellbinder ("what do you mean 12 hours on the trail??!!!")