From: "Heidi Smith"
To: , "Rides 2 Far"
Subject: RC: Re: Long Slow Distance

In thinking back, I can recall three older broodmares with which I've done
this--all in their teens, and all of which had been running in the Idaho
mountains most of their lives. One actually didn't do a 50-miler, come to
think of it--she went to a 20-mile novice CTR (and she actually had the
least time under saddle at the time, so the shorter distance was
appropriate) where she placed 4th in a field of about 25 horses, and
certainly met the concept of "fit to continue" at the end, as she was
dragging on the lead, wanting to go back out with the regular "open" horses
on the next loop. Not a one of these mares showed the slightest discomfort,
nor did any question what we were doing--unlike the horse that Angie
described, all three acted as if they'd been let out of a cage, and were
absolutely tickled to be out doing something. I used to call the older
broodmares starting endurance careers my "bra-burning women's libbers".

ddbpaso@yahoo.com