Re: RC: Edema in "NOT" pregnant mare

In a message dated Fri, 2 Mar 2001  2:53:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, "beth glover" <bgloverhrsewmn@hotmail.com> writes:

<<
Hi Judy, Is she old? Is she peeing okay? Does she have stocking up in the legs? Is she excessively hairy? Some old hairy horses are Cushingoid, and that is a pituitary problem , and they can live with it a while, a few years. If she is not urinating, I would say you have a big problem. Horses don't usually have kidney failure though, it is rare. I would run it by the vet if it hasn't resolved within a day. Even sooner if the legs are stocked up. Pregnant mares get lymphedema sometimes, My pregnant mare got Ventral edema, as you describe. Maybe the cinch is pressing on the vessels that go to the udder. Hmm, I'd just talk to the vet. Good luck Beth   >>

She'll be 7 this year, and no, her legs are just fine.  She seems to be peeing, but to tell the truth, since I board, I don't see her pee very often. She's not excessively hairy.  She seems very healthy except for this.  She was in a brood mare pasture until I bought her, and she is still pretty fat, with the weather, we haven't been able to "work" much.  My vet says I worry too much, it's fat, but I think I'll call another and get a second opinion.  Thanks for any advice.

Judy