Re: Comfort issues for ladies from beginning rider

Dear Laurie-

Staying hydrated for both horse and rider is very
important so be sure to drink alot and find a way
to cope with the stress incontinence.

I think every woman should have Dr. Michele
Moore's book "The Only Menopause Guide You'll
Need". It deals with stress incontinence and about
every other thing all women should know about
their bodies.

You probably already do the Kegel exercises.  She
also suggests acupuncture and the biofeedback
chair designed specifically for stress
incontinence.  She suggests estriol vaginal cream
also.  She also mentions the use of a diaphrgm
where the rubber cup is cut away - inserted in the
morning and taken out at night - which has the
effect of a pessary - and is entirely under the
woman's control. She deals even with the use of
urinary plugs and surgery in her book...

Of course she says to avoid bladder irritants
like: caffeine, smoking, apple juice, carbonated
drinks, coffee, vinegar, granaries, onions,
apples, grapes, spicy foods, tomato, alcohol etc

She also deals with herbs that are sometimes
helpful like catnip, causticum. ferrum phos,
pulsatilla...

Dr. Moore's book is a must for all women -
especially women who wish to remain healthy and
active.

 I find even though we drink alot when riding
distance we seem to sweat (women I guess really do
perspire) more and need to urinate less - which
indicates we need to drink even more.  It is a
good thing at home to also practice 'dismounting -
urinating - remounting' with your horse so that it
becomes routine like all the other things we
practice at home.

Good luck in your riding!

Happy trails - Joan