taking temperature

After a meeting today with the VP and the project manager from the
analytical lab (very high tech; very complete lab) my company uses, the VP
turned to me.  Could I give him some advice on taking a horse's temperature?
  Of course, but rather than launch into a presentation, we decided to spare
the other meeting members the details.  I am going to email him with my
technique.  But, I am curious about methods other horse owners use.

My method is simple:  Usually halter the horse, although with a couple it is
easy to do while there are eating and unhaltered or tied.  Tie a string to
the eye of the thermometer, and an alligator clip to the other (at least 12
inches of string between thermometer and clip). Adjsut the thermometer to
read low (shake it down).  Clean it with alcohol.  Apply a dab of vasoline
to insertion end of thermometer.  Stand to the side (usually left rear
haunch) at rear.  Clip to tail, a good swatch of tail hair, near anus.  Hold
tail over with left hand, ease right hand with thermometer along horse
buttocks, then insert, easily.  No forcing, gentle push, leaving only an
inch exposed.  Wait five minutes. pull out, unfasten clip, wipe off with
tissue or cotton ball, and read.

Are there any digital devices one can use in liew of a mercury and glass
thermometer?  Are there any other sites for reading temperature, and with
what device?

thanks.

JanetB