Re: Price to Keep Horses

Just boarded a foundered mare of mine to get her up out of the mud while she
healed.

Board was $300 a month, included oats and coastal hay.  Could have requested
daily turn-out, as part of the deal but declined in this case.  Was a very
nice box stall, which was cleaned twice a day and had people living on site
who could tell you day to day how a particular horse was doing.

I'm told by my other horsey buddies that I got a great deal (the owner knew
I was tearing my hair out over this mare, and had a stall open anyway) ,
that prices in Central Texas are in the $400- to $600 a month for stall,
daily turnout, feed, hay and access to the other facilitites (covered arena,
round pen, riding trails, access to jumps, instructors etc. etc. etc.).

Trimming in this area is about $25

A full set of regular shoes is about $75

Teeth floating is about $80

Annual shots (and coggins) about $100

And coastal hay is $4 to $6 a bale, $7 to $10 for alalfa (when you can find
it).